ballistic ss props

punchy

Seaman Apprentice
Any opinions on Ballistic ss props? I have one on a 1992 115hp rude 13 3/8 x 19.I can't tell much difference.<br />Another question, will a tach for an 4 cyc. auto work on a outboard?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: ballistic ss props

Can't tell much difference between the Ballistic and what? Let me know if you ever need another one. <br /><br />Use a good quality tach made for what you got. Trying to "make do" can lead you down the wrong path when setting up your rig. And with todays fuel that could get expensive. Get one from OMC or BRP, you'll not regret it.

punchy

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> Can't tell much difference between the Ballistic and what? Let me know if you ever need another one. <br /><br />Use a good quality tach made for what you got. Trying to "make do" can lead you down the wrong path when setting up your rig. And with todays fuel that could get expensive. Get one from OMC or BRP, you'll not regret it.
sorry.<br />Difference between aluminum 13 x 19 that came on motor new and the ballistic.<br /><br />the tach stopped zeroing, now when motor is shut off the needle is below the zero.The needle still move but the rpm is off .guess its time for a new one.<br /><br />who is BRP ?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Bombardier Recreational Products bought the remaining rights to what was OMC.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I bought a used boat recently with a Billistic on it and am now in my 3rd one. It came with a 17P and then the 21 wasn't quite enough and finally the 24.<br /><br />For what I do, I like it fine. Would I consider another and would it work better? Dunno.<br /><br />But, for me, why spend any more money.<br /><br />Mark

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Prop Forum.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've never run one but some of the comments and remarks I've seen ragarding them, including comments I've seen on this board:<br />"Ventilates easily on turns"<br />"Definitely not a load-holding prop"<br />"Moderate performance gain over aluminum"<br /><br />I would tend to not like the prop as they have removed part of the blade that has a huge impact on the performance, that being the tips. I would guess that it would be a step up over the stock aluminum prop but there are better choices out there. <br /><br />UFM82

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The part they removed was the tip that would have stuck out beyond the hub....like the Raker I think Kenny showed a picture of once. <br /><br />They did cup that area, however and continued all the way to the hub.<br /><br />I'm not defending them per se. The only reason I got into them was because one was on the boat when I purchased it. This is the first time I was ever exposed to them, or heard of them.<br /><br />Gotta ask yourself this however. Why did Michigan Wheel buy them out? And what has MWC done to the design/mfgr process/ material since the acquisition. And what are current sales vs original.<br /><br />Finally, as mentioned in prior posts, is that you don't know what's best for your setup till you run it. On prop selection, that could get expensive.....unless you can get loaners to try. But most folks don't like to loan props because when they get them back they are dinged up....accidents happen.<br /><br />Mark

bassman_n44

Cadet

I have an aluminum Tracker Tournament V 17 bass boat with a 115 evinrude. With the 13 x 19 aluminum prop I run 5400 rpm at 43-44 mph (GPS) With the 13 3/8 x 19 Ballistic I run 5400 rpm at 47-48 mph (GPS). Hole shot,cornering and mid-range acceleration all incresed significantly. I know that the Ballistics are not supposed to be good for running on the surface but this one is not bad.I use lots of trim and throw a rooster tail. I added Boyesen reeds to my motor this year and jumped up to 5700-5800 rpm so I tried a 21p Ballistic and had horable results. Soon as I hit 5000 rpm and started to trim the prop lost all bite on the water. I've now ordered a 20p Raker and have been told that I can probably raise the motor on the transom another hole because the rakers will hold water on the surface better than a Ballistic. My Dad (18' Bayliner bass boat, 115 Evinrude) ran a 13 1/2 x 17 Ballistic on his boat and saw a 200 rpm increase,awesome hole,cornering,mid-range but only 1-2 mph gains over his OMC aluminum 13 1/4 x 17. Hope this helps

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heck, for $239>>>get yourself a TURBO or Stiletto & have a quality S.S. prop. ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well boiler, just for kicks I went looking for a 13( ) x 24 15 toothed spline (Merc) in either prop and found none; none here on iboats. I may do some more shopping just to see what's out there.<br /><br />Mark

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't get hung up on the diameter numbers. The prop manufacturers know how to set the diameter of a given prop series to allow for the proper loading of a given prop. Just go with what they have for your engine type, in the pitch you want.<br /> Just be aware that the Turbo & Stiletto props have a good amount of "bite" as Dhadley & Walleyehed put it. They may cut some of the RPM, and maybe some of your holeshot, if you don't change your setup at all. But they should give you the speed & efficiency.<br /> CHECK OUT the thread titled "PROPELLER TEST RESULTS." by Walleyehed, at the top of this (PROP) section. You can get an idea of how these props do against others by how much speed he got & what happened to his RPM.<br /> I went from a 17" pitch OMC Alum. cupped prop to a 17" Stiletto>>> Without any other changes to my setup,I lost about 250 RPM, but gained speed, & it allowed me to raise the engine & still trim the engine up.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Boiler. I entered a new topic this am and maybe should have stayed with this thread. I shopped the (a couple of) suppliers and no props to fit my rig. So I'm open for suggestions.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark