looking for SUPER prop

ripleehd

Cadet
I just purchased an older Galaxy 15.5" tri-hull walk thru with an Evinerude 88SPL (not sure what year yet). I'm in the process of cleaning her up and haven't got her wet yet, so performance hasn't been evaluated. The previous owner tells me that she's heavy. I am looking to use her for fishing, skiing, & pleasure boating. I am planning to install Nauticus trims to help lift the rear and hopefully give a good hole shot. What prop will do it all for this boat/motor combo used for these purposes? I want it all (hole shot, top end, accelleration, longevity) if possible. Compromise starts at 110%.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: looking for SUPER prop

15.5 inches and 88HP.....hummmmmm...<br />I think about a 37 pitch would keep it under 6 grand... :D <br />Seriously, to get close to 5800 I think you'll be closer with the 17P...depends on the hull and how the engine is mounted.

ripleehd

Cadet

Sorry about the inches thing. That would be a wild ride.

ripleehd

Cadet

It seems to me that there is a lot of guess work involved and a guy could possibly have to purchase a few props to zone in on the correct pitch. Ebay is starting to look like an option for this reason, but I don't want to make an incorrect purchase. Are all 13 splines the same size hub? Is prop diameter crucial? Will a 4 blade prop be a bad choice? I need experienced guidance.

walleyehed

Admiral

No, all 13 spline props are not the same....length of spline varies with manufacturer.<br />We get into a whole 'nother can of worms when talking diameter, and the larger the diameter for a given pitch, it does 2 things in most cases...it allows a higher engine mounting heigth and they tend to have more blade area in some cases for better heavy load situations, yet both have different blade styles. Large diameter can be at both ends of the spectrum.<br />Most of the major prop manufacturers are coming out with large diameter props and it's actually getting harder to choose if you don't already know what you need.<br />I can't say I would know how a 4-bld would react on a tri-hull, but it would be a slower prop than a 3-bld.