Prop Diffuser Ring

Blitzen

Cadet
The diffuser ring on my Bravo 2 prop was cracked and so I ordered a replacement. According to Mercruiser it is a press fit with no adhesive etc. required. Boat is in the water. Any advice on how to istall it would be appreciated from people who have done it before. Try to get it started and then tap on with a block? I am afraid it is a very tight fit and will be difficult to install while floating. Thanks.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Diffuser Ring

It has to be a tight fit to stay on during operation. Probably what's called an "interference" fit, meaning that it is actually a few thousands smaller than the hub.<br /><br />Best thing I can think of is to take a hair dryer to the marina and get everything ready with your wood, hammer, and a pair of gloves. Heat it as hot as you can and immediately put it on. Will probably slip right on, or a slight tap. Soon as she cools you are good to go.<br /><br />But be sure the hair dryer stays out of the water. I know you know that but I saw a kid electrocuted. He was sitting in the water attempting to drill holes in pilings for a pier using an electric drill plugged into 117vac. Don't know if it was grounded or not but if it was it didn't do any good.<br /><br />Mark

Blitzen

Cadet

Originally posted by Texasmark:<br /> It has to be a tight fit to stay on during operation. Probably what's called an "interference" fit, meaning that it is actually a few thousands smaller than the hub.<br /><br />Best thing I can think of is to take a hair dryer to the marina and get everything ready with your wood, hammer, and a pair of gloves. Heat it as hot as you can and immediately put it on. Will probably slip right on, or a slight tap. Soon as she cools you are good to go.<br /><br />But be sure the hair dryer stays out of the water. I know you know that but I saw a kid electrocuted. He was sitting in the water attempting to drill holes in pilings for a pier using an electric drill plugged into 117vac. Don't know if it was grounded or not but if it was it didn't do any good.<br /><br />Mark

mmainelli

Seaman Apprentice

Better yet, if you can do all that while the boat is in the water, then just take the prop off, bring it home, and put it in the frig overnite. Cooling the prop will shrink it, heating the diffuser will expand it. Between contraction and expansion, diffuser will just slide on. Make sure of proper diffuser placement, then let prop reach ambient temperature for snug fit.

Motorbtr

Cadet

I had quite a time getting the plastic diffuser ring on my Evinrude 15hp prop......heating ring with a hairdryer, pounding on a piece of 2x4 with a hammer (hit too hard and broke one ring), hitting with a rubber mallet, etc.

Here's what finally worked:

1. Take prop off motor and put in freezer overnight.
2. Put plastic ring in 250deg oven for 15-20min.
3. Lay plastic ring on concrete (or hard) surface, put prop on top, and press
down.
4. It should pop right on!

On the Evinrude prop the wide side of the ring goes forward and the narrow side aft.