whats in your lake water?

husaburg560

Cadet
I have been going to lake jackson in jasper county ga, now for about 3 years. One week after we went 5 red bumps popped up on me. They were extremely sore and I went to the doctor. He said that I have a staph infection. I have been in the lake with cuts, burns, and scrapes before and never had a problem. Im wondering if I did indeed get it from the lake. Once they all heal up I'll be back out there though. If I knew what all was in the water I probably wouldn't get in it though. I'm hooked on slalom skiing anyway. :D

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer
Re: whats in your lake water?

Husaburg, staph bacteria can be on or in just about anything. Insect bites are one of the sources. My wife got one from a spider bite. I know of several people who got them in hospitals, of all places! I wouldn't let fear of staphs change my lifestyle or the things I enjoy, but I would advise practicing good, common sense antiseptic hygiene with cuts, scrapes, insect bites, and such because staphs are really nasty infections and can even be fatal in some circumstances. Good luck and enjoy the water! :)

John Bradley

Recruit

Folks may not know this, but Lake Jackson used to be an open cesspool about 15 or 20 years ago when a good portion of DeKalb County's, which is part of Metro Atlanta, sewage was pumped into!<br /><br />Its been cleaned up big time, but it still has that reputation.<br /><br />I remember as a kid when we used to take SR 155 out of McDonough into that part of Atlanta (pre Interstate) and when we crossed over the South River, which feeds directly into Lake Jackson, was one big bad smell!<br /><br />Ihorizon<br />Sugar Hill, Ga

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Dad and I take an annual mission trip with our church to Guatemala. The towns we work in are around a massive lake. (Several miles wide, bottom still hasn't been found.) Since there was plumbing, sewage has been drained into the lake. People bathe and wash their clothes in this. It smells so incredibly nasty. You can see stuff floating in the water that you really don't want to see. Boats are a major form of transportation there but I'd hate to have to change a water pump! I could only imagine all of the stuff that might be found inside those engines.

tommays

Admiral

even here on long island when ever there is enough rain they eather stop shellfishing or do beach closeings because the poo count is to high from run off<br /><br /><br />tommays