Tubing/ Skiing in Ocean

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Every weekend I see boats heading out of the harbors with tubes strapped to them. I have yet to actually see anybody tubing or skiing on the ocean. Where do they go? Are they heading out to open sea? How tuff is it? What would you consider "too rough" to ski?<br /><br />-JustMrWill

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tubing/ Skiing in Ocean

We tube in the ocean. You just gotta keep an eye on conditions - if the ocean itself is providing enough chop or wave action, you should reduce your speed. You should also have tube riders who would not totally freak if they came out of tube. This probably eliminates small kids. And your spotter really needs to do his/her job - not just take in the rays and look back once in a while.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Always be aware that carnivorous fish live in salt water and that swimming and thrashing about in fresh water is ok, but may attract the attention of undesireables in salt water.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There is another term for tubing on ocean water. We call it "trolling". ;)

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the "trolling" line....that was good.<br /><br />Many people take their tubes/skis and riders to calm water. This could be one side of a bay or a wind protected shoreline. <br /><br />Most tubing is done in the boat wake and if the boat driver is nice and lets the person stay in the way, the boat will do a good job of smoothing the water. However, it is not fun to ski or tube in any kind of chop.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by fishingdan:<br /> However, it is not fun to ski or tube in any kind of chop.
I agree chop isn't much fun on skis, but we specifically AIM for the chop and big waves on the tube...beats the snot outta ya, but I think it's a total blast! And I'm an old fart! Everyone's different...

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the replies...what do you think I will catch with my 9 year old? Would it be worth keeping? How would you cook it? I assume that you would should remove what you can of her remains before cooking...cause then that would be just too close to canibalism.<br /><br />I was just wondering if I should bring the tube/skis with me when I will be on the ocean...just in case.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am bringing our tube to the cape this weekend. Plan to tube in one of the salt ponds.

Realgun

Commander

Always be aware that carnivorous fish live in salt water and that swimming and thrashing about in fresh water is ok, but may attract the attention of undesireables in salt water.
5 people in NJ in 1916 would disagree with that!<br />Bull sharks can and do get into fresh water on occasion. And that 626 pound catfish is kinda scary to me!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by JustMrWill:<br /> Thanks for all the replies...what do you think I will catch with my 9 year old? Would it be worth keeping? How would you cook it? <br />-JustMrWill
Did you see Water World where Kevin Costner uses himself as bait? :D <br /><br />If you do go tubing, make sure you have all the proper equipment in good condition, including life vests. <br /><br />I have been in and around the ocean since I was a kid and I would not take my kids tubing on ocean waters. I even have second thoughts about standing on the sand bar chest deep to play in the waves anymore. And it's not just sharks, it just when things go wrong on the ocean it can go from fun to life or death in seconds. I don't think people give the ocean the respect it deserves until it's too late.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> bait<br /> when ya enter the salt pond you go down several notches in the food chain. while we really are not on a sharks food chain they do sometimes take a taste. while shark bites are rare and a shark actually eating someone more rare it only takes once :) . I looked it up with google and its official. world wide more people are killed by falling coconuts than sharks. however I am still less afraid of coconuts than big fish :)

swist

Sharks, hell. Around here a few years ago a bunch of saltwater swimmers were attacked by ravenous bluefish! No life-threatening injuries but plenty of cuts, lacerations, etc.....

peacekeeper6

i am tubing as we speak just came home to get some water. seems fun to me just learned howto ski also.

Triton II

Commander

It is not that common, but it happens... this is a South Australian news article from 25 August 2005. <br /><br />---------------<br /><br />SEA rescue boats last night found diving equipment belonging to an Adelaide University student who was attacked by a shark during a marine science expedition off an Adelaide beach.<br /><br />It was near the site of another fatal shark attack last December.<br /><br />The student, 20, has not been identified but was one of four divers from the Adelaide University marine biology school collecting cuttle fish eggs for marine research two kilometres off the Adelaide's suburban coast.<br /><br />The shark attacked at 4.10pm yesterday as the diver surfaced near a popular diving spot called the tyre reef off the coast of Glenelg, a marine resort as well as a beach popular with fishermen.<br /><br />Police said the student was taken as he was surfacing, in an attack seen by two others who were in the boat.<br /><br />The three traumatised students were brought to shore yesterday afternoon while rescue boats and helicopters began searching the Adelaide shore.<br /><br />Head of Adelaide University's earth and environmental science school, Bob Hill, said the trip was part of regular research along the coast by the university's marine school.<br /><br />Advertisement<br />Advertisement"The three of them are obviously quite shocked and are talking to the police," Professor Hill said last night.<br /><br />He said the group, including the man who was taken, were all professional divers and the university had total confidence in the way they conducted themselves.<br /><br />"I am proud of the efforts they put in from what I have heard from them. They made every attempt they could to do the right thing."<br /><br />Police said the two people on board the boat, who saw the large shark approach, raised the alarm and pulled one of the divers out of the water.<br /><br />A local fisherman, Keith Klemasz, who saw the seven-metre charter boat with a flag up indicating a diver was down, said he commented at the time the diver was "crazy" because of the risk of an attack.<br /><br />He said 30 to 40 local boats burleyed the waters each day and the presence of sharks was well known.<br /><br />"There are sharks always here. I would never go in these waters," Mr Klemasz said. "I've seen guys out there before at night at the same spot, because there is a reef out there and a sunken vessel, swimming with their lights and they are just shark bait."<br /><br />Professor Hill said the university would investigate the incident before deciding whether to suspend its diving program.<br /><br />A search was under way last night for the shark and the missing man. "We are making every attempt we can to locate the person," acting Superintendent Jim Jeffrey said.<br /><br />"The indications to us though are that it will be very doubtful that we will find the person alive."<br /><br />In December last year 18-year-old surfboarder Nick Peterson was killed by a great white shark off West Beach, about one kilometre north of Glenelg.<br /><br /> :eek: