New boater in Raleigh

adamwade

Recruit
There are two things I'd like to discuss. First, we are looking to purchase a boat for leisure boating in the Raleigh, NC area, and are looking for the best places to boat, best boat ramps, etc. <br /><br />The second thing is we'd like some feedback on an issue. As we have been looking for a boat and talking to people, we keep hearing the same thing. "The two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it." This is causing us a little grief. Why so negative? Are there a lot of maintenance costs and problems with boats? Or, are these the type of people that buy boats hoping to use them, but never do? We plan on getting tons of use from our new boat.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boater in Raleigh

Can't help you much with boating in N.C., as far as ownership goes, I,ve owned a boat for 20 years and am on my fourth. There are diferent reasons for people to be happy to sell.Biggest one I,ve seen.. people buying new and expensive boats for their first. They finance for 10 years, don't realize the the time comitment to maintenence, and have a worthless, non running lawn ornament in their front yard, with 5 years of payments left.Owning a boat is expensive and takes time to maintain it.A boat will hold a good part of initial investment if its maintained.If your looking to buy your firstI would suggest buying a good used boat. Have someone that knows boats look it over.Take cousrses on boating, and ask as many questions as you can. There is a pretty good chance after a couple of years with your first boat you will either decide to move up to a boat that better suits your needs, or get out of it. With a used boat, well maintained you should get most of your initial investment back.<br /><br /> Welcome to iboats!!<br /><br /> Jim

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

adamwade <br /><br />Welcome to iboats, the best and most informative web site on the net. To answers your questions, boating is a hobby, it is not a mode of transpiration on the water.<br />Ask a lot of questions, from people who have boats, and don't get dazzled by the first boat you see. Cusner has some good points in his comment, I would recommend buying a boat a year or two old that has been well maintained. DO NOT buy a fixer up, they can be a night mare to put back together. I have been in the remanufacturing business for close to 25 years, and have seen a lot of people get burned on their first boat. We can help, just ask!!! :)

KTM

Recruit

Adam - I need some more information to help you. What kind of boating do you want to do? If you are just going to be doing lake boating in the Raleigh area, I can suggest several good places. If you want to head to the coast, your boating needs will change a little.<br /><br />It sounds to me like you are a weekend boater with a family who wants to tube, waterski, wake board, etc. If that is the case, you have a lot of good options with boats and place to go in the Triangle. If you want to stay in Raleigh, Lake Wheeler is great for an afternoon. It is a small lake, but it is close to home and has easy access. If you want to spend a whole day on a large lake, Jordan Lake off of Hwy 64 is only a 30 minute drive west towards Chapel Hill. There are several others I can recommend, but those two come right to mind and will give you a differenct feel with each.<br /><br />I have owned a jet ski for 10 years and more recently a large, 46 foot boat we keep at the coast. I have waterskied behind just about every boat you can imagine. I personnally prefer to own new boats. I am maticulous in the way I keep them and this way I am sure they have been serviced properly. There is nothing worse than having the whole family packed up and on the lake ready to have a big day only to have something fail.<br /><br />However, if cost is a consideration, there are some well maintained used boats. The trick is to find a good one. With this being your first boat, and not yet having much experience, there will be some luck involved in getting the right boat for your needs.<br /><br />I heard the same thing as far as the happiest days of a boat owner are the first day and last day. All I can say is bologna. I enjoy boating today more than I did 10 years ago when I got started. Those that lose the "fun" tend to find other interests that replace boating. I will caution you that owning a boat is not like owning golf clubs or a lawn mower. Stuff breaks. Period. Sometimes it boggles my mind that something can work perfectly one weekend, and the very next, it doesn't. That is just part of boating and it will happen to you. So that needs to be part of your expectations.<br /><br />This is just one guys opinion. I am sure others will feel very differently. But this works for me. Good luck.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, Im down here in NC, and I live in the eastern area of the state. If you have a boat, the good thing is you can pretty much use it all year round. Unfortunatly for me, I've had it 2 years, and just recently found out that it floated. I have had problems with it, but due to my own stupidity on fixing it the first time, I had to fix it again. Long story. But it works great, and I had fun with it. It s addictive. It also depends on what you want to use it for. Fishing or recreation. Keep in mind though, you will go thru gas fast while having fun!

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome fellow raleighite...<br /><br />There are 2 great places to go boating in Raleigh<br /><br />First you have to realize that all of the lakes in NC are man made. Which means they can be narrow at times, with lots of coves and they can have be real shallow in places. The lakes are also run by either the Park service or the army corp of engineers.<br /><br />Falls Lake which is north of Raleigh and Jordan lake which is south of raleigh are the two main lakes for water fun<br /><br />Harris lake and lake wheeler are two smaller lakes that are mainly fishing type lakes because they are not very large.<br /><br />Further north about 1 hour near the VA border is Kerr (car if you are a yankee cur if your a redneck)<br /><br /> I got to Falls Lake<br /><br />The following applies to all of the lakes.<br /> <br />There are a number of boat ramps most are run by the park service and there is a $5 fee - or $40 per year coupon. The fee ramps are in great shape, they are patrolled by the park police and have bathroom facilities.<br /><br />There are few free ramps that are always crowded with no facilities and my sister in law (who makes 300k a year) car got broken into while they were out on there $25,000 boat.<br /><br />There are many maps of falls lake available with all the boat ramps listed as well. I would suggest just driving to one "without" your boat just to see which one you like the best and which is closest to you.<br /><br />There are a few "beaches" as well on falls lake where you can pull up to shore and hit the beach, there NO lifeguards<br /><br />I would sugest getting a boat with some type of bimini top - the sun can be brutal out there on the water...<br /><br />Falls and Jordan both have overnight campsites for boaters where if you camp out you have your own dock and swimming area.<br /><br />As for your other comments...<br /><br />Boats are high maintenance...They are not like cars where you fuel em up and check the oil once a month.<br /><br />Everytime you go out you have to "prep" for me last sunday it was.<br /><br />Take cover off<br />Hitch up to truck<br />connect wiring and make sure lights work<br />Check trailer tire pressure<br />Check boat straps and connectors<br />Connect battery charger <br />Fill oil tank (i have a 2 cycle oil injected engine)<br />Tighten bimini top guidelines<br />Add a few lbs of air to water tube<br />Make sure I have all of the correct life preservers<br />Get cooler ready<br /> Ice<br /> Water<br /> Soda<br />Get family ready (2 boys and wife)<br /> Swim suits<br /> Lotion on everyone<br /> Towels<br /><br />Then once we are on the road<br />Stop and pick up some chicken from foodlion/harris teeter, we usually stop and have lunch on the boat<br />fill up gas tank at station<br /><br />Hit the ramp<br /><br />Reverse process when finished.<br /><br />For me there is an extra hour and each end to get ready to go out on the water....<br /><br />There is a boat dealer up on falls lake itself, where the marina is that has some great deals on boats. There are quite a few good dealers around. <br /><br />IMHO - a boat around 17foot is a great overall size to trailer, tow and launch, smaller then that and you limited in people size, larger then that you need a good size tow vehicle and then usually 2 adults to get it launched.<br /><br />Let us know if you have more questions

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nobody has mentioned the fact that the type of tow vehicle you have will dictate the size and weight of the boat you buy. Spending a large sum of money on a boat you like only to find out you need a new truck to pull it can be a financial nightmare. Of course this is a moot point if the boat is moored in a slip at a marina and they take care of storage when necessary.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rather than taking a boating class and passing some kind of inane multiple guess type of test, commission someone to take you out to Falls lake and show you the ropes, I operate my 23' salt water boat out there mostly on week nights due to the crunch on weeekends, I have Boat Ramp Anxiety<br />and Irritation Syndrome due to the influence of rookie boaters and discourteous persons at the ramp. However, feel free to contact me at 247-4776<br />for advice.