Going from Beaufort,NC to Ocracoke

craker

Cadet
How long of a trip is it in a 23 foot walk around 225Hp?<br />anything i need to know before making the trip?<br />Is it difficult to navigate Nine Foot Soal Channel into silver lake?<br /> Thanks <br />Greg

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Going from Beaufort,NC to Ocracoke

Greg:<br />Welcome to the forum.<br />If you are asking this question, you don't need to do it.<br />Not to be a smart butt, but the only Nine Mile shoal, I know of is near the eastern shore of Va. app. 200 miles north east, and Silver Lake is app. 70 miles south near Wilmington. <br />And after you get pass Cedar Island, you are in a long streach of open water called Pamlico Sound.<br />And if your GPS goes out, you have to use the compass to find Ocrackoe Island, and if you miss it you will run out of gas, before you make Hatteras.<br />There is no tow boat service in that area.<br />Take the Cedar Island Ferry to Ocrackoe, then go boat riding. :)

craker

Cadet

cc lancer look at a chart before you answer a question like this!<br />Nine foot shoal channel is one of two that bring you into Silver Lake the natural harbor for Ocracoke. the other option is big foot shoal channel. I'm not a novice I live in Emerald Ilse NC spend every weekend on the water both inside and outside on the blue water. You however live in Yanceyville 4 to 5 hours from the coast. PLEASE inform yourself before you give advice on these type of matters.<br />Now if ther are any real captains who would care to share alittle of thier PRACTICAL (not pretend) experiance about this trip it would be gratly appreaciated

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

After I got out of the Army in 1968, I went to work as a mate, on one of the boats out of Oregon Inlet, NC from there I worked for my cousin on his trawler at Va. Beach. During this time I learned to use a compass and a chart to plot a course, long before everyone had a Loran on their boats.<br /><br />I have had a home near Harkers Island, NC, for close to twenty five years, and for the past 37 years I have spent a great amount of time in the Atlantic . And I have fished from NY to Fla.<br /><br />Experienced Captains stop at Oakracoke when they are ferrying yacht's north and south, with a lot more draft than your 23 foot boat and none have come on this forum and asked how deep is the water coming into Oakracoke. The Ferry is in and out of there constantly. And by the way I have been to Oakracoke twice. But the fact remains Pamlico Sound is dangerous, and many have lost their lives there.<br /><br />If you are the experienced blue water captain you say you are, why are you on a international forum, asking questions about how deep the water is at Oakracoke, that is listed on the nautical charts?