Help for an Advertising student? Advertising approach questions

Hello, everyone. I am an advertising student from Oklahoma State University working on an ad campaign for MerCruiser. I posted a survey and would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond. Now we're kicking around creative ideas. I'm going to describe our several ideas for different formats for advertisments, and I would value any comments, feedback, criticism or suggestions you might have to offer. Your input is immensely helpful and greatly appreciated, by myself and my agency, Torque Advertising. <br /><br />Which ideas do you favor and why? Any other comments or suggestions? <br /><br />1. A "Mr. Goodwrench" type character to personify the expertise behind MerCruiser's Installation Quality Certification program. The ads would include a lot of information about the IQC program, and take an informational, more serious approach. <br /><br />2. "Improper assembly causes major problems"- We considered using the visual metaphor of a sandwich put together all wrong as the main image, to show that even the simplist things can be messed up by improper assembly. The text would relate this idea to proper engine installation and include a lot of information about the benefits of the IQC program to convey the idea that proper installation of MerCruiser engines eliminates problems. This ad format would use a more humorous approach. <br /><br />Thanks in advance for your time!<br /><br />Ashleigh Fiddler, ashleigh.fiddler@gmail.com<br />Torque Advertising

fireman57

Captain
Re: Help for an Advertising student? Advertising approach questions

Is it okay to reply to this one JB?

Nittany

Cadet

Hey Ashleigh:<br /><br />Nah -- Drape a Donzi girl around a stern drive.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Okay, by me, Fireman.<br /><br />Not the type of question we usually get, but getting answers and opinions is mostly what this board is about.<br /><br />Just remember, Ashleigh, first you gotta get our attention; then keep it while you deliver your message.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Is this "Torque Advertising" some kind of case study or business school game? Because I find it incredible that the advertising agency that has the Mercruiser account doesn't even come up on a Google search. And that its employees have to get email at a gmail account.<br /><br />idea #1: it's been done.<br /><br />#2: there's no such thing as an improperly assembled sandwich.<br /><br />don't mess around--who else is doing this "proper installation" message? Far as I know, you're the only one. So just show the actual symptoms of improper installation, I mean actually improperly install some engines. Experienced boaters will know whether you're simulating the conditions. Then show us the corrected vessel.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Talking about quality is boring! Why should your target audience be interested in qualiity? Advertise the results of quality. Base your campaign on fun, reliabilty and service and then tie it back to quality in no more than 10 seconds.

fireman57

Captain

As in the first survey I feel that MerCruiser is trying to make the other dealers appear shoddy in their work and I don't believe that is the case. A dealer doesn't stay in business long without taking care of his customers. If I was going to watch the ad then it should be humorous and factual. Also no longer than 30 seconds.

JIm Cook

Seaman Apprentice

OK State Univ. is in Stillwater, OK. where all [most]<br />sterndrives are built. Mercruiser is "very active"<br />in student programs with the schools and business<br />community. This must explain Ashleigh's request.<br />Ashleigh, who would be the target for your ad?<br />It almost looks like maybe some boat builders would fit the bill as the target. To me, both ads seem to<br />imply that maybe a problem has occured in the past,that is if<br />if it were shown to the retail consumer, but would be right<br />on target for the boat builder.A little more info.<br />would help one make a better comment.