Prop recommendation Ranger & 150 Evinrude

ggault2b

Cadet
Boat is 1990 Ranger 365V with a 1990 Evinrude 150XP. Prop is OMC SS painted black 14.25x23. Centerline of prop is 4.5 inches below bottom of boat-looks like engine is where the manufacturer put it. In cold water runs 60 mph, no gps, at 5500 rpm WOT. In warm water barely gets to 45 mph and can easily rev engine over 6000 rpm.<br /><br />So I am looking for a prop. I also have access to 5.5 inch jack plate but am concerned about clearance between steering and top of transom - engine would have to come up a couple inches to clear transom when engine is tilted up.<br /><br />Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Prop recommendation Ranger & 150 Evinrude

I think we have some numbers rearanged here...your RPM and speeds don't match up..<br />A 15MPH drop in speed is not from temperature, and the higher RPM should be in the colder temps....can you clarify that a bit???

ggault2b

Cadet

Actually, the numbers reflect what I am seeing. This is the second season I've had the boat and when the water warms up, I loose speed. Based on rpm, it seems the prop is slipping/ventilating big time. I have checked the hub and it is not moving in the prop. That's why I came to conclusion I need to try some other props.I guess the tach could be wacking out.

walleyehed

Admiral

We gotta get Dhadley on this one....I've ran in 110 degree heat with 85 deg water, then run in winter with 32-33 deg water and same air temp and have always had better performance in winter/colder temps.<br />I don't understand why it blows out in high temp, but not low temp...makes no sense to me.???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I've been thinking about this all day. 15 mph is a great difference. My first thought was altitude but I don't think that's where you were going?????<br /><br />Tell us more. Very interesting stuff.

ggault2b

Cadet

Don't think Oak Ridge Tennessee poses an altitude problem. My best observation is that below about 50 degrees water temperature, everything runs well. I have been running at water temperatures above 50 degrees at degraded speed and have had the prop regain "bite" and it feels just like an automatic transmission shifting geers - rpm drops and I can get the speed back up. Upper 50s and 60s degrees I get degraded speed. Hole shots are not great but they do not appear to be effected by water temperture. I came to the conclusion that the motor may be too high for the prop and that's why I was considering trying some different, newer technology props. Also, tonight or tomorrow I will get under boat to see if hull is roughed up enough to cause alot of "dirty water" off the back of the boat.

ggault2b

Cadet

Originally posted by GWG:<br /> Don't think Oak Ridge Tennessee poses an altitude problem. My best observation is that below about 50 degrees water temperature, everything runs well. I have been running at water temperatures above 50 degrees at degraded speed and have had the prop regain "bite" and it feels just like an automatic transmission shifting geers - rpm drops and I can get the speed back up. Upper 50s and 60s degrees I get degraded speed. Hole shots are not great but they do not appear to be effected by water temperture. I came to the conclusion that the motor may be too high for the prop and that's why I was considering trying some different, newer technology props. Also, tonight or tomorrow I will get under boat to see if hull is roughed up enough to cause alot of "dirty water" off the back of the boat.

ggault2b

Cadet

So ignoring the symptoms I've been having with current setup, does anyone have recommendations for props to try for this boat? 23" Turbo Lightning or 22/23" Raker have been suggested. Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Been gone a few days but was thinking about this. Never seen this but....could the prop hub be slipping in the warmer water? Logic and experiance would dictate that once it starts to slip it will continue to do so but.....????<br /><br />I think a Lightning would be a great prop to try. Something in that 23 range.<br /><br />Kenny, what do you think? Know where one might be?

walleyehed

Admiral

How about a Lightning TXP???? I know where one of those is setting....<br />ktsander@st-tel.net

ggault2b

Cadet

A while back I put scribe marks on the hub and prop to verify the hub wasn't slipping. At the time, it was not. But I will check again soon.<br /><br />One person I talked with wasn't sure the TXP would be a good fit because he thought the TXP worked better on newer, lighter boats and that the Lightning would be a better choice for an older, heavy boat like the Ranger. Any thoughts?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 2 are very close. The Lightning has a lot of bow lift and the TXP has a bit more overall lift. While it's true that you can run either we've found that on boats like a Bullet or Allison or Hydrostream will benefit most from the TXP because of the boats natural bow lift. It really has nothing to do with weight, just the lift characteristics of the hull.<br /><br />Your boat has a pad and a step, right?

Ron G

Commander

I think you'll love the txp on that ranger,you Would'nt belive the difference its making on my bumblee bee.You have the 2 best people helping you.

ggault2b

Cadet

Umm...I'm a bit ignorant on hull design and how to identify if the boat has a pad. As I recall, there are two "steps" from the transom to the bottom of the boat. I will have to verify tonight. I think there is the transom, 1st step has livewell inlets, and 2nd step has drain plug.<br /><br />So what would the "pad" look like?

Ron G

Commander

It has a pad and i think that year has the offset motor too.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A pad looks almost like a ski on the hull rather than the two sides of the hull coming together like a sharp V.

ggault2b

Cadet

Yep...there is a pad but the transom is straight - no offset, provided "offset" is what I think it is. <br /><br />My real goal is to get the right prop to make sure the engine cannot over rev. Other than that, I am looking for the best overall performance that does not mess up the ride and handling of the Ranger hull. Sounds like I will find a txp and lightning to try.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Explain what you mean by "over revving" keeping in mind this is a 2 stroke running on needle bearings, roller bearings and ball bearings. <br /><br />The only drawback to a Lightning or a TXP at this time is the no jackplate situation. We may not be able to get the motor high enough to take advantage of the technology. (Ron -- how high are you now??) Re-visit Kenny's last post about a prop. It'd be well worth a shot. Well, OK -- an email anyway.

ggault2b

Cadet

Over-rev - With the current situation, I have not taken the motor to WOT because it will go past 6000 rpm.<br /><br />I do have access to a 5.5 inch CMC jackplate, but I have been reluctant to put it on. Moving the motor back 5.5 inches will put the hydraulic steering directly over the top of the transom. It looks like the engine would have to be raised 2-3 inches to be able to tilt the engine up without the steering hitting the transom. I do not have engine temp or pressure guages to know if raising the engine too far to lose cooling. I guess I could look for a 10 inch plate but then I'm not sure the boat would fit in the garage.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There's no reason to think that 6000 + is over-revving the motor. <br /><br />The motor is probably a bit low now. If you add set back you'll need to go up about an inch for every 5 you go back. Especially if you go to a hi-tech prop like a Lightning or TXP. <br /><br />The engine temp warning system is very sufficient as long as it's maintained. However, a water pressure gauge is a must whether you have a jackplate of not.