I finnaly bought a SST prop! Do you think it will make any difference?

budsbud66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Current prop: OMC Aluminum 13 3/4 x 15 31@ 5850RPMS<br />New prop: (unknown brand) SST 13 3/4 x 15<br /><br />my question is, will this prop produce more stern lift? I suppose im gonna have to get more info.. i expect to have a drop in RPMS. is a slight raise in Top speed likly?<br /><br />ebay item= 4636112686

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: I finnaly bought a SST prop! Do you think it will make any difference?

Since you own it, I guess the way to find out is to install it and see. My guess is you'll drop RPM slightly with no or very little increase in speed. But then we have no idea what boat or engine this prop is going on.

Ron G

Commander

we'll see,give it a try and run the numbers.like upinsmoke said theres probably going to be a slight drop,but really want know until after a test run what a good excuse to get out on the water. :)

mmainelli

Seaman Apprentice

Well, let's see. Everything is equal, except that the SST is a very efficient prop, by itself, and compared to aluminum (thinner blades, better entry of leading blade edges, less trailing edge drag, smoother blade surface). All else equal, for a given rpm, you should go slightly faster with the SST than the aluminum.<br /><br />How old is your outdrive (or engine, if OB). SS, including the SST, is almost twice as heavy as Al and can bang the hell out of lower unit gears. It's like a flywheel on the prop shaft. Make sure you don't slam from F to R, or vice versa.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

I have a feeling you will lose some rpm's. I did the same thing with an 89 J50, although it was an 17" pitch aluminum & 19 ptich SST. With the aluminum prop I could hit the rev limiter easily (6100)and am assuming I could go beyond. With the 19" pitch SST, I can just get 5800. I estimate probably about 600 rpm lose between the 2 but who knows with the rev limiter kicking in. You will probably lose 100-200 rpm's. The SST does not produce much bow lift at all (at least on my setup). I can trim my SST pretty much all the way out and get no lift. It really sets the bow nicely (unless of course you need some bow lift)<br /><br />If you can raise the motor any, you may be able to get the setup just right.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know how it works out.

walleyehed

Admiral

Let's not get confused on the "SST", which is an OMC/BRP factory painted stainless prop.<br />It's best to refer to the prop as "SS" if stainless and list the model/manufacturer, then we can determine if it is intended as a bow/stern or over-all lifter.