will raising motor help

bcrosehill

Cadet
I have a 2004 pt 185 tracker aluminum boat. It has a 90 hp Mercury on it. I changed from the stock 12.75 x 21 aluminum prop to a 13 x 21 michigan match prop. The rpm's went from 5500 to 5600 at wot. I don't have a gps but the speed seems a little faster. It is running about 43 to 44 mph. It has a lot more lift now. It hurt my holeshot just a little so I drilled 3-1/8 inch vent holes. I haven't had it back out yet. The cavitation plate is about 1 to 1.5 inches above the bottom of the hull. If I raise the motor 1 hole what will this do to speed, rpm's, holeshot, lift, water pick-up, etc.

solidwaste

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: will raising motor help

Im no expert but it should give you a little more rpms and kill some of youre bow rise. Dont know about the jack plate

Ron G

Commander
Re: will raising motor help

Raising the motor should raise your rpms a little,increase your speed and will probably help with your holeshot.it would'nt hurt to try raising it a little at a time,IMO a jackplate always helps and it makes raiseing and lowering the motor easy too.keep an eye on your water preassure gauge.