Ugly SS Prop

JoJoBetsy

Seaman
Hello all,<br /><br />Hope your boating season has started off safe and relatively cheap...<br /><br />What is the best way to clean a stainless steel prop to bring back the luster? I've been told several different ways as well as just leave it alone...but I like my ss prop to look like ss. Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks a bunch and safe boating to all.<br /><br />jb

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ugly SS Prop

I have used one of those plastic scouring pads and Comet cleanser. Some SS props have a dull finish and there is not a lot you can do that I know of.

walleyehed

Admiral

Mothers metal polish will take most of the calcium (dull finish) off and shine it up good.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well, the last rig I had had a Merc factory type SS on it (don't remember but it was in the 13" dia range and had vent holes) and not only was it barely buffed, but it showed rust spots every 6 months.<br /><br />This new tin can is running Ballistic SS props and they are polished to a jewelers art and even on the 2 year old prop that came off it originally, sitll slick and shiny and no rust.<br /><br />Just my 2c.<br /><br />Mark

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

i clean my ss prop with 00 steel wool then polish prop with mothers.works real good its worth a try.