How to calculate % slip

machv1

Recruit
Just purchased 1988 Bayliner 19.5 ft with a factory 3.0L, c/w a 2.3L to 3.0L omc upper drive 400 series and a 800 omc cobra lower drive conbination. The seller purchased and installed a 19 pitch prop, and the boat performed extremely poor achieving only 32mph and 3500RPM and poor hole shot.<br />After some serious reading, and my compliments to numerous postings that have brought me up to speed on boats. Had numerous boats never has there been a problem til now. I have a couple of questions<br />1. How do you calculate % slip, what is optimun %slip.<br />2. What prop would you recommend, just looking for a cruising boat that has the ability to pull tiny little kids on a tube the odd time. Whar speed should this prop translate into?<br />3. What is ideal rpm for this engine to maximize engine life as well enjoy performance.<br /><br />And......if your able to solve my dilema first few beers are on me, just drive north of Spokane to the Okanagan, Canada

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to calculate % slip

Welcome to iboats, great lake you got there.<br /><br />Try this:<br /><br />www dot castlemarine.co.uk/pitch.htm