ballistic xl,anyone tried one ?

fleopis67

Cadet
hi,has anyone run a mich. wheel ballistic xl? i got a good deal on one,decided i will try it on my 93 rinker 209 sport, with a 350 mag merc alpha 1,gen 2,i have a merc vengence 21 on it now and run in the low 60s,rpms are about right now,this hull has a v style hull with a pad at the stern just ahead of the drive.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: ballistic xl,anyone tried one ?

Short story. Bought this used boat. Had a Ballistic 17 on it (90 hp Merc). 1st time out it was obvious way too little prop. I liked the rake and blade design of the Ballistic (first time I had seen one). So when I got another prop (like immediately) I bought another to reduce variables and because I liked it. Bought a 21 and things got better, but still not enough load on the engine. Was still running 750 rpm over max.<br /><br />Noticed on here that they were having a prop blowout and I looked up what I wanted 13 1/2 x 24 XL. Couldn't believe my eyes: $154 including shipping.<br /><br />It did all that I wanted it to do; brought rpm's down to 5600 (100 over but ok) speed went up 3 mph, prop held in tight turns at WOT and full speed tilt....like where I was running before I turned.<br /><br />In the turn it gained about 500 rpm (didn't blow out) and after I straightened out it took about 2 seconds for the air to clear out and like vented props do (this one is not vented) it grabbed, rpms dropped back to 5600 and away I went.<br /><br />Now you are running an I/O so you may not break out like I did. I don't know how you are setup. I just will tell you that for my situation it was a perfect fit.<br /><br />Besides, for what they are selling them for, you wouldn't get hurt if it wasn't what you wanted. At those prices you should be able to easily find a buyer.....but I am going to doubt that you'll sell it.<br /><br />If you buy it post back and let me know how it worked out.<br /><br />Mark

fleopis67

Cadet

thanks,only paid <br /><br /><br />i already bought it,$200 new,i went up from a 21" to 22" ballistic,i think it will work out good,i run a light load most times and my drive is set a little high,i think the extra bow lift will help also,when it warms up ill try it ! thanks for the input !<br /><br /><br />4200

walleyehed

Admiral

Post back with your numbers....The Ballistic hasn't shown real good numbers on sterndrives, especially the XL....You can't get the drive high enough to utilize the diameter, and if you compare to a Turbo, Raker, Stiletto, Laser, etc, the Ballistics have little bow-lift in comparison.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Kenny,<br /><br />I just bought this boat. Never heard of Ballistic. I do know that hot dog boats used "cleaver" props which is what you use for your icon. Well the *** end of the Ballistic has that flat shape; different, I'll give you, but none the less they are addressing the water as it leaves the prop.<br /><br />Like I said, the folks that initially sold the boat to the previous owner (term extremely loosely used) put a 17" prop on this boat that they sold to this previous owner. The boat was 3 seasons old. The previous owner had used it. Thank goodness I didn't know how he used it; didn't ask.<br /><br />The first time I had it out and left the ramp, I goosed it and the rpm's went over 7500. Another story.<br /><br />So I get a 21 Ballistic to reduce variables and because I like their idea. Does good, but not there yet. Wot still at 6250. (OEM rating 5500)<br /><br />The 24 did it, but now I have another problem....vibrations at idle and in gear. Never ran a really high rake, high pitch prop on a Merc, but this sucker is definitely a horse of a different color.<br /><br />But to run a 17' boat at 52 mph with a 90 hp engine......lot of folks would give their left nut to get 45 much less 52.<br /><br />Mark

walleyehed

Admiral

Very True...<br />Merc tested the ballistic on several applications, and rank it near the top for speed...I have by no means tested the number of props Merc has, but the testing I have done, I don't see the speed because as I raise it to get the max, it blows out before 90% of the props in that class. A std Turbo 1 in a 14-1/4" diameter will still run over an inch Higher than the 14-3/8" Ballistic, and blow the doors clean-off speed-wise in the same pitch.<br />And I must add, to be honest, that is on MY application, but I have ran both a 3 and a 4-bld on a buddy's boat with less than excellent results.

Swishguy

Seaman Apprentice

I run a 23 Ballistic on my 18' Glastron with 4.3 efi. It gets me about 2mph more then any other prop I have(4 of em) I have to be by myself tho cus rpm,s are on the edge(4600 rpm at wot) & adding 1 more person makes me underrev.

yoder

Seaman Apprentice

i ran a bal on my champ and loved it.but with the vibration you may want to look into that ..my first bal was not centered and would vibrate also at low rmps..dont think that would be good on the bearings in long term use,and may blow the lower unit..yup 3k later..(dealer said if that if i dont feel it in the wheel i'll be find)..how wrong he was..

yoder

Seaman Apprentice

man i wish i would have pass english... :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I went to the local Merc dealer and hired the mechanic for a half hour discussion of my setup. Bottom line was to not worry about it, so he said, and explained why and I agreed with him.<br /><br />Well on this hot dog of mine, a 2:1 or 1.65:1 would significantly reduce the required pitch for the same performance and with that I doubt that I would be hearing these noises. <br /><br />I will not change props just because of this caviot. I will just insure that when I put it in gear I will immediately give it some (a little) throttle and when I'm coming down, I will go all the way down (N).<br /><br />This Merc has a 2.3 gear ratio and I believe it (the Merc 90) was setup for larger boats that don't run very fast; hence ability to turn a big wheel slowly. I believe that because the 17 and 21 pitches that I ran thru initially, did not do this.....and if I can get 52 outta this prop with no vibes, it can't be in too bad a shape. Grin.<br /><br />I remember the Merc ads of yesteryear where they talked about the 90's torque and flaunted the 115 for speed (course that was in the days of the tower of power); same 99 cu in power head.<br /><br />Their 75 runs the same rig, just less gas (I guess) so it probably doesn't have this problem as it can't handle a prop with this much pitch.<br /><br />Mark