Prop advise for saltwater trolling

namasoo

Recruit
First let me start of with the numbers. I was finally able to run WOT yesterday because the water was flat enough. I have a 17' Glasspar remodeled for ocean fishing. It has a v-hull. The main motor is a 2000 Yamaha 100hp four stroke. The prop is a OEM Alluminum 13 1/2 X 15P.<br />WOT she went 5800 rpm at 30mph trimmed out.<br /><br />I would like to change to a stainless prop and any advise as to the size and type would be great. I rarely run anywhere at close to top end because I am mostly trolling around 32-34 rpm at 9-12 mph. I was thinking that a stainless prop might let me run at the same speed with lower rpms, but I am not sure what size pitch to use. Also would this lower my fuel usage a little?<br /><br />Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

namasoo

Recruit
Re: Prop advise for saltwater trolling

I forgot to mention that I tend to carry a lot of weight:<br />40gals fuel<br />100lbs of ice<br />2-3 people<br />Gear?<br />...and hopefully 100lbs or more of fish.

walleyehed

Admiral

Max rpm recommended is 6000 isn't it????<br />Running at top-end is how we determine the load on the engine...If it's at the max rpm, then we know it will be much more efficient over-all, at any throttle setting.<br />Correct me if I'm wrong on the max rpm...I'm going off the top of my head..<br />And, yes, we can likely find an SS prop that will perform better over-all.

namasoo

Recruit

Yes, the max rpm range in the manual is 5000-6000.

walleyehed

Admiral

namasoo

Recruit

Walleyehed,<br /><br />Thanks a lot for your help. I finally got the money together and I ordered that prop today. Its easy to see why everyone on this forum speaks so highly of you. Thanks again.