lazy down low/will stainless help?

andrew k

Seaman Apprentice
i race small outbards. my motor is a 20hp merc. i'v tweaked the reed valves drilled exhaust and upgraded to a 25hp carb. i got great speed top end but its lazy out of the hole. i'm now running a 14.5 aluminum. do you think a stainless will help and not affect my top speed?

Ron G

Commander
Re: lazy down low/will stainless help?

I think a stainless should help because its not going to flex any but i dont know they'll probably want to hear some figures like your rpms and wot but if its racing it might be different.some very knowledgble guys be here to answer all your questions.and welcome to iboats.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can go ss try up or down 2 in pitch or easy into your gas is the motor bogging from to much fuel from over carbing it, just though it will ack simalar if over proped to, it will plain out but slow if go down in pitch it get's up quicker but less top speed you gain one place lose in other place (tork shift prop) was a prop that shifted so good take off shifted for top speed in test's it worked but there not made any more

walleyehed

Admiral

Likely talking a specialty prop here with flat trailing edges aren't we??? Such as a clever??

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Back in the days when I was involved in racing, the little 2 blade was the prop of choice on a Quicksilver racing lower unit.<br /><br />We didn't have a hole shot period. You squeezed the throttle and shot a rooster tail 100' behind you and crawled out on the front deck....while you were trying to hold the throttle closed with one hand the the steering wheel with the other...and tried to get her porposing and finally, the little bugger would catch and away we'd go. <br /><br />Can't say what today's props could do for you but Kenny can.

andrew k

Seaman Apprentice

i've been told a 13 pitch stainless is the same as a14.5 alluminum. meaning if i go with the 13 stainless, i shouldn't loose any speed top end. they tell me that if i got a 14.5 stainless i may not be able to turn it. is this true?<br />atk81

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What Walleyehed is asking is are you looking for a specific type of ss prop like a cleaver?<br /><br />What type of boat do you have?

andrew k

Seaman Apprentice

i have a flAT BOTTOM 14 ft bplywood boat, weighs 100lbs, were can i get a specialty prop?

walleyehed

Admiral

Not to Butt in, but I think you are looking for a Ron Hill custom for what you have...

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know your level of experience so I will just assume you have little with modifying outboards. You may have changed the powerband of the motor with the changes that were made. The exhaust on outboards is tuned to make the motor have a balanced power transition. One hole too many or two big and your in trouble! There is a chance that a new prop may not help.