What is needed to go slow and plane while pulling tube?

swire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ran into this situation last year while pulling younger kids on a tube. They don't want to go fast, at least not the first couple times out. In order to go slow enough for them I'm stuck going slower than the speed I need to be on plane and I'm plowing water. This not only pitches the nose of the boat up, bogs the motor down, but it also wastes gas.<br /><br />I have a 19 1/2' Cheetah fish and ski with a 1998 90hp Force setup with a 3 blade aluminum 13 1/4 x 17 pitch prop which I use for skiing and tubing. Even with the boat fully loaded I'm under propped but that helps out getting the skiers out of the water.<br /><br />The max RMP on the motor is 5250. I would guess the motor would easily turn 6000 with this prop. Since I have a lot of room to work with prop is there anything that can be done to keep the boat on plane at slower speeds or do I really need to look at going to a 4 or 5 blade prop? Or would something like smart tabs help? Also since I have a lot of RPMs to play with on the 17 pitch prop what can I do to give it more even bite when pulling a skier up? It would seem like changes needed for the two goals of slower plane and more bite would be similar.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is needed to go slow and plane while pulling tube?

not sure if you'll be able to plane at a lower speed without moving some weight around or messing with your motor trim. swapping props doesn't have a lot to do with the speed your boat will stay on top of the water. trim tabs may get you some more on the contact patch when planing, so that may help but I don't know how much

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

I used a Permatrim device on my Force 90 (http://www.permatrimmarine.com/) Mounts directly to AV plate and is meant to give more stern lift, faster planing and lower planing speed. These are made here in NZ but are available in US. Probably other similar devices also available. Can't really vouch how much difference it really made because I never took it off!<br /><br />Forces are not the torquiest of motors at the best of times. I've spent many a time being dragged through the water on a slalom ski by a Force 90. I think you'd see a big difference with a V4.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I agree that tabs will solve your problem, not prop work. Your comment about your current performance speaks well for your prop selection. Sounds like you are suffering the same (type) syndrome that I/O boaters suffer. All the weight is aft and it causes problems like you are having. Tabs cure this.<br /><br />Mark

45Auto

Commander

Rare Air, do you realize that you've just replied to a post over 3 years old????

Think he's been trying to figure it out all this time? :) :)

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will second, third and fourth these things, http://www.nauticusinc.com/ Their trim tabs work especially well for just what your are talking about. I have had 2 boats in the last few years, and I installed the tabs because of the bow raise, but what I found is that pulling my 10 year old around on the tube was alot easier on plane than plowing through the water.

I have tried the hydrofoil, and the boat seamed to be quite tipsy at slower speeds. with the trim tabs the tabs are out at the edges of the transom so the boat seems more stable. You will gain 1 to 3 mph on the top end too.

jamesdad

Seaman Apprentice

you know you replyed to a reply about the same? i love the fact that people are still looking to solve old problems! good looking all!