Which prop is better?

brownies

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking for a 3 blade, 27 pitch prop for my 98 yamaha 150. Intended purpose is mainly for speed. <br />Yamaha Pro series prop looks interesting (and expensive).<br /> Other companies make what "appears" to be the same dia/pitch props. <br />Given the advertised size and pitch being the same between companies, and, each companies claimp of thier prop being "the best"....Which is best?<br /> OR.....WHO makes the best 3 blade, 27", 14.5" diameter prop designed for top end speed?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which prop is better?

Why limit yourself to 14 1/2" diameter?

walleyehed

Admiral

I'd think a 14-3/4 Lightning or a TXP would show some good numbers. I'd guess the over-all lift of a TXP would fill the need for speed quite well.<br />My 2 cents....

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Just looking for opinions on "like/similar" advertised products. (14.5 / 14.75 x 27)<br /> Basically, if 20 companies offer/advertise about the same product/prop. Which one would be on your boat?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I answered earlier, before the crash,so if a double post shows up we'll know why.<br /><br />Anyway, with todays props and their progressive pitch and rake it's hard to say who has the "best" 27" prop for every concievable hull design. Even on like or similar hulls the loads and use may mean two different style props even if they are both 27's.<br /><br />But to answer your question -- who has the best? I don't know. I havent tried them all.<br /><br />I suspect Walleyehed's right -- the TXP or Lightning at 14 3/4" diameter may be a great choice. Tell us more about what you've tried. That'll give us some insight. Also tell us about your hull and set up.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

"tell us about your hull and set up"??......<br /> This was an expensive quest for going fast that started with a bad lower unit. I figured it would be similar to things I knew "more" about. Automotive....the first 50hp you add is cheap and you can feel it. Several hundred hp later it gets REAL EXPENSIVE and the effects are difficult to feel).<br /> What I had: 98 Skeeter ZX176, Yamaha Vmax150, Yamaha M-25p prop, 2.0:1 ratio lower unit, 16" motor set back from the back of the pad, prop shaft 5" below the pad...59mph@5000rpm WOT.<br /> What I wanted: 6200+rpm with the same prop. (it's just that simple)<br /> What I did: Hyrosports Stage II kit for the motor. (heads, exhaust, reeds, jets, intake plate, reed plate)....Installed 1.86 gear ratio lower unit.....raised motor 3", set the timing at 22 just for safety.<br /> RESULTS: 63mph@5600rpm and it won't stay there due to massive chine walk. Have GOOD water pressure all over.<br /><br /> I'm going to raise the motor another half inch tomorrow and see if it helps. Any other suggestions (other than tabs)?<br /> Is it possible to trim "past/out of" chine walk?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just re propped my merc (13x x 21 ss) and the best value/performance I found was a Ballistic. Michigan wheel bought them out some time ago and they surely make a high rake hotdog for your yammie. Got it off the www for about $280 plus shipping. Arrived in like 4 days UPS. Go to the Michigan wheel www.<br /><br />My 2 c.<br /><br />Mark

walleyehed

Admiral

Mark, you need to take a serious look at the Turbo line of props...You can buy MUCH higher performance Turbos for 270-275....and they will knock the socks off of a Ballistic.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Brownies, get this months issue of Bass & Walleye Boats. John Tiger Jr. has a whole article about chine walk. Also an editorial on steering and seat time. Pay real close attention to the first few paragraphs of his editorial. Real close. It just may save you from ruining a good pair of shorts.<br /><br />Youre going the right direction. But read the articles.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

I'll find that issue and check it out. The chine walk wasn't "out of control scary" so much as it was..."lets back it down before it gets outa hand".<br /> Seems I have a way of creating more obstacles than I started with in the quest for rpm.<br /> Headed back to the lake with wrenches in hand.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Seems I have a way of creating more obstacles than I started with in the quest for rpm.<br />
Not really. The things you are running into are quite normal and expected.<br /><br />Taking a guess here -- hydraulic steering?

Ron G

Commander

Very interesting.listen to Dhadley he helped me out a tons.im on the quest for more my self.how bad is your chimewalking?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ron G, how bout an update? How are you coming along? Had a chance to test anymore?

Ron G

Commander

No i havent been out in over a month.weddings over so its time to get back on it,im planning on going these weekend.i'll added it in on my old post.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Rain rain go away....<br /> Yes, on the hydraulic steering. Not sure if this belongs in the prop section any more or not? I guess my brain just got ahead of my boat. I was so sure the upgrades and adjustments would get me enough hp to pull a 27p, AND, I'd just be going faster.<br /> Now it seems I've opened up a whole "new can of worms" and must overcome that 1st. (no sense in having the power to go 70mph if I can't control the boat).<br /> If this is all normal, I'd hate to see abby-normal.<br /><br /> Still with 25p prop, jacked up now to 1.5" below the pad, waiting on the rain to stop.

walleyehed

Admiral

The "can of worms" comes with it sometimes...this is the fun part...getting through them. Listen to Dhadley...good chance he'll get ya through it in good shape.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Your thread belongs right here. It all has to do with props and set up. Real hard to seperate the two. Change one and the other needs attention eventually. <br /><br />As for the steering, the faster you go the more critical the steering becomes. Any slack at all and its real easy to get behind as you try to balance the boat on the pad. And a hydraulic system without slack is really really rare. Youre reaching the point that if you must stay with hydraulic, youll need to use the Sea Star Pro system and the kevlar reinforced hoses. Maybe you already have that. And make real sure you use the right fluid. It must be the aircraft grade (fluid spec MIL-H-5606) -- not the fluid for your floor jack.<br /><br />About now we need to look at gearcase shape too. With hydraulic steering you wont have the "feel" of what the motor is doing. But we may be able to work around that. <br /><br />As you increase the X dimension to lose drag and gain efficiency your torque tab will, at some point, become ineffective. The motor will naturally tend to torque over. Youll notice that the steering wants to pull to one side. With cable steering its real evident. The hydraulic steering will mask that feel. It doesnt eliminate steering torque, it hides it from you. <br /><br />When this happens the motor is no longer running straight behind the boat. You may notice that its harder to turn in one direction than the other. If the motor is torqued over to one side, you're losing speed. It's not unusual to get the motor straight and pick up "free" mph.<br /><br />With the stock torque tab out of the water we have to think about putting one on the skeg. No big deal. Bob's Machine makes one as do several others. I believe they sell them here. A very simple little device that screws to the skeg.<br /><br />Anyway, keep a close eye on the feel in the wheel. Once the torque is tamed (hence Bob's name -- Torque Tamer) it'll be faster and easier to drive.<br /><br />Now, when you say "jacked up to 1.5" below the pad" are you refering to the AV plate or the propshaft? I'm thinking propshaft.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Propshaft 1.5" below the pad.<br />Seastar pro, upgraded helm, correct fluid, solid motor mounts (I detest those already though), and nothing special on the lines. <br /> It does feel tight, much tighter than the dual cable it had. <br /> Torque "pull" on the steering wheel is non existent (let go of the wheel and it won't turn itself). It IS there though. With 250lbs in the passenger seat it takes LOTS of muscle to turn right. With just me in the boat it turns either direction no problem. Mentally, I found that very interesting.<br /> I've had a couple of dual cable boats that you didn't DARE let pressure off of the steering wheel at 65.<br /> I'd love to be out on the lake testing, but, still raining. Soon as I can though, I'll be posting some results. AND, I'll be spending lots of time "easing" into the chine walk to see if I can learn that feel. (can't be too much different than the feel it takes to drive an old jeep at hwy speeds). You don't really drive those, you more or less "herd them down the road".

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Quick side note here about Dhadley's floor jack comment.<br /><br />Ever noticed how a shop will have a $20k Snap On tool box, loaded with $100k worth of Snap On tools.....and Wal Mart floor jacks and stands?<br /> Priorities.<br />(Much similar to me and my boat...lol)