Prop pitch for flat bottom

I'm looking at putting a 10.5x17 ss prop on an aged 1648 jon boat. The motor is a newer Tohatsu 40D. My stock props are 11x15, which work ok but, leave me pushing low 30's. I went to a michigan vortex 10? x 16 and the motor really wound out, guessing its just a crap wheel. Anyways, just wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts on jumping to a 17 stainless. I don't have a tach, but am guessing the 17 would drop me down to about 5300-5400 rpm, the motors range is 5200-5700. Need more speed.................

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Prop pitch for flat bottom

Sounds like you are guessing at RPM's. You need to know where you are before you know where to go. Hey that sounds very philosophical doesn't it ? :D Generally you will trade off top-end for hole shot or vs versa. To do a proper job you will need a tach.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop pitch for flat bottom

Agree on the tach. Also you can't tell by listening. And, low 30's for a 40hp isn't all that bad. Now it the boat was empty and weighed in like 350# and you were 95# soaking wet and all you had was a tank of gas and a life preserver in the boat you might do better.<br /><br />My 2c.<br /><br />Mark