Yamaha F150 Prop Question.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Boat: 20ft Polar Center Console Bayboat (fiberglass construction)<br />Weight: Approx. 3300 lbs....rigged and loaded.<br />RPM's: 5300 WOT MPH: 42 via GPS (trimmed) <br />Prop: Steel 3 blade 13 3/4 X 19<br /><br />Upon purchasing my boat I read the owners manual which indicated the prop which came with my motor was 13 3/4 X 17. However, when I pulled the prop off for winter storage, I found out it is actually stamped 13 3/4 X 19. <br /><br />Although the boat seems to get on plane well I always fealt the boat was lacking it's true top end speed potential. Now I'm wondering if cutting back to the 17 pitch will deliver the expected performance by bringing my RPMs up into the normal top end operating range with a few more MPH?<br /><br />Helpful advice appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha F150 Prop Question.

a 17 will get you roughly 450 RPM or so. you really need it.<br /> that motor should be propped to 6000 RPM. the props with the hub vents help with holeshot by allowing a small amount of ventilation at initial acceleration.<br /> most the hull maker supplied props are for use before its outfitted. I see it all the time, by the time the customer is done adding a hardtop curtains and 1000 pounds of goodies the original prop wont work.<br /> and some boats are just over propped from the hull manufacturer.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 120 inboard only turns 3300 rpm thats it with 19 a 17 makes it over rev and skip, I have a v6 evenrude I turned it all the way to 5800 rpm with 25 pp stainless steel prop I like to stay 5100 or so stop at 5500 thats up over 50 mph on my bass boat that fast enough for me, just don't over rev it more then yamaha says to

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

ps if running jack plate that will make rpm get up there, as jacking the motor out of the water that's how I got mine to 5800 rpm, it happened fast so i let up on gas, mine has gas peddel like a car,jack plate is power lift, not tilt on motor <br /> <br />though I add this if your boat has jack plate

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I will be in the market for a 17 pitch prop before putting the boat into the water in the spring.<br /><br />I am also assuming a 17 pitch will slow my boat down for trolling. Right now I can get down to about 2.5 mph contingent on conditions. Can I expect to get between 1.5 and 2.0 mph with less pitch so I don't have to use a drift sock to slow down.<br /><br />Finally, do you have any recommendations for a good prop with my rig combination? What additional top end speed is realistic with the change? Would a stainless performance prop have any inherant benefit over a standard SS prop.