New Prop - Am I on the right track?

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer
I've managed to tear my prop up at the ramp (didn't remember to raise the outdrive!) I'd rather take care of this myself and learn something (else) in the process. Tore the skeg off as well, but that's another issue.<br /><br />First off it is a '95 Sea Ray 230 with a 5.7 engine and Alpha I outdrive. It came with a 14.5 X 19 pitch(?) prop which a mechanic changed out to a 14.5 X 17 because I complained about not getting up on plane. It works much better. I looked here on the "prop finder" and see 2 candidates. One is an Amita 14-4/5 X 17 and the other is a Michigan Wheel 14 1/2 X 17. <br />What's the deal with the Amita? Why is it 14 4/5 instead of 14 1/2? And why is it so inexpensive?<br />Is the Michigan Wheel really what I'm after? Am I missing anything? Your advice is appreciated!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Prop - Am I on the right track?

Prop designs (diameter, rake, cupping, etc) are not the same between manufacturers. As pitch goes up, diameter usually goes down slightly. Conversely as pitch goes down, diameter rises slightly. Diameter has less effect on performance than does pitch. That slight diameter change will not be noticeable. As for price -- why does a Chevy cost less than a Caddy when they both get the job done. Are you comparing aluminum vs stainless by chance? Otherwise aluminum props are fairly close in price across the board. Stainless are all over the map. I recently bought a Michigan Wheel stainless for less than $100 bucks and thats all its worth. My aluminums worked better. As someone once said, "you pay your money and take your chances".

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: New Prop - Am I on the right track?

GS, what WOT RPM do you get with the 17 pitch prop you had? And if "getting up on plane" is all that's important to you, a three blade prop may not be the best for you. A four or even five blade would "get out of the hole" better.<br />But yeah, diameter will be whatever the maker wants it to be. Just make sure it doesn't hit the triangle shaped annode that sticks down below the ventilation plate.