suggested prop?

mnorton

Cadet
Hi all, <br />I have a 1973 15 foot crestliner with a 65hp johnson on it. It's max rpm according to specs is 5500. It has a 13 3/4 X 17 prop on it. However, it is allum and is all banged up. Any suggestions on what type of prop I should go with? It is more of a fun boat, and I will be using it to ski for my 3 young boys. Mainly doing lake boating. We just bought it about a month ago. I was thinking of maybe getting more speed out of it. What reasons would I want to go to a 19" pitch? Thanks for help. I am new to the boating world and having fun with it.<br /><br />Norton

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: suggested prop?

The only reason to go to a 19P is if you are spinning over 6000-6200RPM with the 17.<br />Max by the book as produced, is 5500...we like to shoot for about 5800 with a normal load with todays lower quality fuel.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I had a similar boat. 15 was best for skiing, 19 was best for speed. 17 did both just fine. If yours is rebuildable, it's cheaper than a new one ... about half. I suggest getting a prop of a different pitch as your second prop. A spare prop is always a good idea, and one of a different pitch allows adapting to the use for that day.

mnorton

Cadet

Thanks for the info! However, i may have more problems with my motor. Water in bottom cylinder. I have a more detailed post in the Johnson moter forum. If I can get motor running decently, I will stick with the 17 pitch prop. How much to repair an allum that has some small ding in it?