Freash Water to Salt Water?

I own a 1962 36' Chris Craft Constellation and I live in Midland, Michigan (Fresh Water) and I am moving to Corpus Christi, Texas (Salt Water) What do I have to change or do to get my boat ready for salt water? I don't want to spend a fortune, I just want it to be safe in the salt water.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Freash Water to Salt Water?

If it doesn't have bottom paint I would consider that. <br />I would also look at freshwater cooling so that you don't have to leave it with saltwater throughout the engine. Recently there was an ad in one of the boating magazines in the Northwest for an attachment that would let you run fresh water through an engine without having to take it out of the water. Looks like a worthwhile idea. With the valves on the attachment you can even force fresh water out through the outdrive, assuming that you have an I/O. I'm sure it wouldnt't completely prevent saltwater corrosion but it should reduce it significantly.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Will the boat be kept in the water? If so bottom painting is a must. Things start growing after 5 days in the water here. Most of the I/O guys I know don't worry about salt water cooling, they just change out their mainifolds every few years.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure too that you have all of your sacrificial zincs in place. If any of them are more than halfway gone, replace them.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's a trailer boat, I'd only make sure I had all the zinc anodes on the outbaord/outdrive. Wash it and the trailer when you get home and flush the motor. Do this after each outing and it'll last longer, but salt water will still corrode things no matter what.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Be prepared for everything metal to start corroding. Not just the stuff that is in contact with the water. Just the salt in the air will cause everything to show signs of corrosion. Keep everything clean & coated with wax or some kind of protectant. I've found that washing & then wiping all metal down with Alumaguard works for me.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are several 30' Christcrafts in my area of the marina in Edmonds. They are great looking boats. One without a flybridge would be great for cruising or fishing. But then I can barely handle my 24' boat when we get winds or currents or when I try to put the 8' beam into the 8.5' slip. Good luck in your move. Looks like you're getting some good advice on the forum.

don flowers

Seaman

James, can I assume that your "connie" is wood, if it is you need to prepare for an attack on every part of your boat. Wood boats don't last near as long in the hot tropical waters here in Texas. I'm talking water temps. (summer time) in the marinas in the mid 90's. You will need to make sure you have a couple good coats of bottom paint, good zincs, and being in Corpus you will have access to a good haul out area. You will need to find a good wood guy. They are not easy to find down here. You guys up-North have a lot more wood than we do here on the Texas coast. I had a client with a "Connie" in Galveston Yacht basin about 10 years ago. His yearly haul usually had moderate amount of wood work needed done. I know that a man and is boat is a near religious thing, but have you considered selling the "connie" there and buying something else here. Transport is going to be a pretty expensive thing?? Hope I didn't offend. Don