Trolling rod holders

Emtypckts

Seaman Apprentice
I found some removable rod holders at the pro shop but not sure they can handle the side force troling will put on them when the rod is horizontal off the side of the boat. also the rods wont just lay down in the holder, you have to slide it in. so the question is does anyone know a better removalble rod holder that can handle the trolling stress

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling rod holders

Are you talking about the clamp on style holders? I bought a couple pairs of Whitecaps from boater's World and I like them a lot. They are the only all stainless clamp on holders I could find. <br />I'm not sure by what you mean by just lay down in the holder?

saumon

Lieutenant

Definetely the Down-East S-10. Up here, we troll all day long with rods laying perpendicular to the surface at speed over 5 mph with 5 oz.+ lures for muskies and everybody use them. Reliables (read unbreakeables) and, a great advantage, you remove the rod by pulling it up.<br /><br /> Down-East rod holders<br /><br />Here we don't use it in saltwater, but this model is called "the salty", so i guess it will be ok :D

Emtypckts

Seaman Apprentice

the rod holder I bought was this one and my trolling rods dont fit it well but my spinning rods will but i want a holder that is adjustable and removeable and can handle unbrella lures and large fish I dont have any place to mount the clamp on type so i want to deck mount it and be able to set rods parrell with the water <br />thanks for the responses but now maybe you will have a better understanding of what I am looking for. your help is appreacated<br /> http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2033712&cp=716957.717038.562542&parentPage=family

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use the quik -draw rod holders from Cabela's,they have worked great,no complaints at all with them.I use them with and without the downriggers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have my doubts that a plastic holder of that type is going to hold a good fish. <br /><br />If you want to add to your spread and you don't have any place for additional holders get a set of tridents for use in your existing holders.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I homemade my own out of 1-1/2" pvc, but I already have commercial grade 2" stainless mounted in the gunnel and the pvc slides down inside!!! I took 2/14" lengths and a 45degree elbow,glued them together and they work fine on big 40lb. stripers and small football size tuna!!!! ;) :cool:

woody1969

Cadet

Reel,<br /> Do you know, if you mount that paricular holder, in your link perpindicular to the side of the boat if it will handle the side load when you have a fish on or will it twist. I really like that mount, being flush and all so when not in use it can be stowed easily.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you loosen your drag enough to allow a fish to take line after it hits, the rod holder shouldn't take all that much stress, just the stress of the lure in the water. On conventional reals I just put on the clicker, and on spinning rods I try to only troll with baitrunner reels. This way after a fish hits you can quickly put pressure on the fish to set the hook.<br />This way I don't have to worry about loosing a rod overboard when that monster cow hits.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

C. Wood...I do not have any first hand experiance with these rod holders. Being that the're stainless, the're probably pretty tough. If your really interested check out their Extended Service Plan (ESP). For this item its only $7.50 and appears to me to cover most anything that may go bonkers. Read up on it...Yellow box to the right...Non Electronic Version...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do you know, if you mount that paricular holder, in your link perpindicular to the side of the boat if it will handle the side load when you have a fish on or will it twist. I really like that mount, being flush and all so when not in use it can be stowed easily.
I had a set on my previous boat and they worked well but you need to have something substantial to anchor the mounting plate too.<br /><br />
If you loosen your drag enough to allow a fish to take line after it hits, the rod holder shouldn't take all that much stress, just the stress of the lure in the water.
All good in theory but light drags loose fish and when trolling umbrellas and such you'll need 6-8 lbs of drag just to hold the bait so free spool isn't an option most of the time.

Emtypckts

Seaman Apprentice

First thanks to everyone for their helpful information<br />Well I agree with you "dingbat" those were my concerns also and I do have the room on the boat to mount most any type of holder but what I want is like the one in my link way up there that is removeable and yet holds the rod parrell with the water and is able to take the stress of trolling and if I get lucky also able to handle that big one. Maybe i will just have to invent my own <br />Thanks again guys