Marlin Marine Tournamet (Nassau, Bahamas)

CaptSolo

Cadet
Marlin Marine Tournament (Nassau, Bahamas)(May 14th and 15th Sat + Sun)(prizes at Sunday dinner)<br /><br />I'll be missing the Marlin Marine Tournament this year, but if there is a Florida captain that's got a good and fast boat over 40 feet, I'm allowed two "foreigners" as "guests".<br /><br />Bring your wife if she likes to fish. <br /><br />You have to have at least two Bahamian or residents on the boat to enter. I can get a top angler to meet the rule requirements.<br /><br />My 42 foot boat is in Miami getting repowered with three 225 Yamaha 4 strokes, so I'm not gonna' make it this year.<br /><br />Last three years we finished 2nd twice and 3rd last year in this - the best tournament in the Bahamas.<br /><br />We landed over 100 mahi mahi last year (average 15#s) - so if your lookin' for some sporting fun, give me a call back quick. Missed second place by only 1/2 point last year.<br /><br />Winner last year was the "White Rat".<br /><br />Tournament deadline is next Thursday. <br /><br />I can probably fit you in my slip here in Sandyport, or will pay for yours at Lyford, when you arrive, and if they accept your/our entry.<br /><br />I can check on all this before hand.<br /><br />Call me at 1 242 327 7359 if interested<br /><br />email taxman@batelnet.bs.<br /><br />Tom is my name. <br /><br />You'll be fishing against the best captain and boat in the Bahamas - "The White Rat". a 50 foot, $2,000,000 sportfish - captained by Scott Kelly (family own a Walmart size department store herein Nassau, ++++++).<br /><br />This boat is the favorite in every tournament here in Nassau.<br /><br />I out pointed them (Scott and crew) in two of the last three tournaments - but they won it last year and once before - and always finish in the top 5.<br /><br />Anyway.. Any Florida Captain who's got the time and money - I can take you to the place for the dolphin a plenty. <br /><br />It's 180 miles to Nassau from Miami - so better hurry!<br /><br />2,000 miles or so if you're coming from Nova Scotia!<br /><br />Wanna see a 71# mahi mahi landed on my boat two years back in this tournament.<br /><br />email me and I'll send you the picture of this "giant".<br /><br />fish won high rod first day. Won a New Penn 50 + Penn Rod.<br />Won another $7,000 in prizes this fish did.<br /><br />What a great fish!

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Marlin Marine Tournamet (Nassau, Bahamas)

:) That's a nice offer, but I only have a 26' boat!!! ;) :cool:

CaptSolo

Cadet

Fly Rod..<br /><br />I used to buy whiting and hake (ling and pollack too) from the end wharf at Gloucester in the 1970's from the Curcuros (pronounced cuckoos)- Frank and Charlie.<br /><br />When the BFT showed up they'd hang a sign up above the fish with the weight than Chainsaw the head off and ship to Tokyo in big ice filled "swim pools"..<br /><br />The sign weight kept going higher - over 1000 pounds - every year - if I recall.<br /><br />I drove my whiting to NY to LI for a nickle a pound. Charlie was 70+ than and is certainly gone now - but could cook hake that tasted better than lobster.

Fly Rod

Commander

:)Hey Capt. Small world!!! There was Charlie,Frank and Joe!!!! My sister is married to Joes son!!! Joe, the last of them, died a couple months ago!!! They did have a good bluefin tuna operation with Japan!!! If it weren't for the Japaneese, the price of tuna would still be five cents!!!!<br /> The name is Curcuru (Koo-ker-ru) ;) :cool:

CaptSolo

Cadet

That's them. The NYers called them the Kookoos. Guess it was easier than pronouncing their sir name.<br /><br />used to fish off his dock waiting for the Captain of the "Mary" to show up with the best (baseball bat) whiting in Gloucester.<br /><br />He was Charlie's favorite captain - and boy could he catch whiting in those nets. freshest fish you ever seen.<br /><br />Remember Charlie telling me you had to be careful buying fish - cause some of the captains would lie and be out two or three days - and say they went out for one.<br /><br />Once saw a 20 foot boat (BW?) come in with a 500# BF.<br /><br />they had to hail a boat with a hoist to set it on the bow of the boat.<br /><br />Once you got to Charlie's, they had block and tackles to pick these giants up and off.