flounder fishing

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello everyone,i love fishing for flounder and will go fishing this weekend.but so does my father in law and we kinda compete with each other.can anyone give some advice or tips how you catch them.i use live shrimp and fresh dead or mud minnows.bye the way i fish galveston bay(texas).please help i gotta catch more this year.i also work with him so we brag to all the co workers and i would love to be the one braggin.thanks

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: flounder fishing

Ok, but ya gotta keep this stuff secret. Ok?<br /><br />I assume you will be drift fishing and know all about how Flounder face into the tides ect.. ect..<br /><br />Use a small weight, maybe 1/2 to 1 ounce teardrop type and hook it to a three way swivel. Use a nice Flurocarbon leader about a foot or foot and a half long to the shrimp. I use 40# stuff. Flounders have nice teeth as you already know. Hook the live shrimp through the tail so he can scramble about as the tide or current drags his posterier along bumping over every Flat face in sight. He won't last long. If you use artificals, around here the Tsunami Trout Buster minnow is working very well. Storm makes some nice looking ones as well. Keep the Shrimp moving around. It works.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow thank you.a lot of people told me to try flounder pounder.have you ever heard of these?

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It sounds familiar, but when I use those terms it is associated with a 10 foot pole with a gig on one end. Try gigging at night. Lots of fun. Wait a couple while I post a picture of a pounded flounder.....
poundedflounder1.jpg

LadyFish

Admiral

We usually drift fish using live shrimp and mullet or mud minnows. Set your cork up your line about 1 and a half to 2 feet with a split shot under it, use a 8-10 trebel hook. This way the weight sinks, the corks floats and your bait is able to swim freely up off the bottom.<br /><br />I also throw artificals if the action is too slow and use a brownish colored plastic worm (I'm sure it has a name, I just don't know it) and have pretty good success with that. Works great if its a little overcast and the water is a little muddy. I've actually caught flounder on a rattletrap before too.<br /><br />Depending on where in the bay you are fishing you should be able to set up a nice drift from any south bank in west bay. Winds are expected to be 5-15 out of the southeast Saturday. Bring your drift sock.<br /><br />Speckeled trout and redfish are turning on right now too.<br /><br />Good luck! :)

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i fish near the texas city dike.or the sunken ship.if you know the area.thank you

LadyFish

Admiral

Richard you mean the sunken concrete ship?<br /><br />We've fished it a few times but we mainly stay in west bay. Need a lot heavier weight and a really good anchor. We don't use a cork there, we use a heavy egg sinker and live shrimp. We fish just off the ship where there is suppodesly a sunken shrimp boat.<br /><br />Good luck this weekend.

LadyFish

Admiral

Richard you mean the sunken concrete ship?<br /><br />We've fished it a few times but we mainly stay in west bay. Need a lot heavier weight and a really good anchor. We don't use a cork there, we use a heavy egg sinker and live shrimp since its soo deep and the current is so strong there. We fish just off the ship where there is supposedly a sunken shrimp boat.<br /><br />Good luck this weekend.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes,there is a lot of specks there.we have even caught a hammer head there too.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

to be honest i have never done any gigig.i would have no idea where to start.i am going to go buy some flounder lures tonight,can anyone tell me what is the best.

Try to use some beads on the leader in various colors. The flounder is a curious fish and a wonder if the falling beads together with the bait is something to eat. Sneak in to the kids playroom and steal some beads while they are sleeping. Use 2-4 beads close to the hook/bait and slowly pulling it in. Could be the difference between succes and failure on a slow day

LadyFish

Admiral

Great advice on the beads. For heavy current areas, I use a leader (about 18") with 3 red beads closer to the hook/bait and a 1 oz. egg sinker above the leader.