Hailing Flyrod.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Hello Flyrod.<br />Here is another one fishing for your precious information.What color did you say your markers are??<br />Anyways,reading your posts,I find a big difference in depth between where you fish and where I usually go.In Cape Cod Bay I try to stick to the edge of a shoal and at about 40 feet.At Racepoint,where the water is much colder than in the bay we run between 20 and 24 feet.In both cases we fish "bumping" the bottom with squid or shrimp like lures on wire lines.<br />You are talking about 140 feet and more.So where in the water column are the stripers when you fish that deep?The dogfish harvest implies that you are bottom fishing.Or are they through out the column dependent on the depth that the macks are?<br />Oh, by the way,can you give me some coordinates?All I want are a few numbers,I promise I will keep them just between me and you.<br />Sincerely yours,your good friend Rolmops.

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Hailing Flyrod.

:) Good evening Rolmops!!!! ;) <br />Just finished dinner and had corned hake,boiled potatoes and onion, with a white egg sauce gravey!!!! Have enough fish left over for fishcakes and beans on Wednesday!!!<br /><br />Coordinates!! "Sure"!!! When out front look to the west, line your self up with the center of the white roof till it looks like your even with the roof ridge,looking south, line yourself dead center of the brown and yellow house level with the 2nd floor windows, looking north line yourself up with the twin towers and when both towers look like one ,drop anchor!!!!!<br /><br />The 40 mile differance between the Cape and Cape Ann and the bottom is quite differant!!! They have basically a sandy bottom compared to our rockey bottom and we fish humps!!!! A very good friend of mine fishes the cape basically the way you do and he catches some cows!!! He takes a 20oz. sinker with a live scup and drifts bouncing off the bottom no out croppings to get hung up on!!! When wire lining or lead lining up here we also get into 20-30' of water!!! Most of the time if not in deep water we are in shallow water and cast into sometimes 6" of water against the rocks!!! that is why they are also known as rock fish!!! I draw 18" of water and sometimes I'm only in 24" of water and when chartering I stay out a little deeper because of safety issue!!! A friend of mine won't fish with me because I once payed out 300' of anchor line to fish in 10" of water with the wave breaking under the stern!!! The anchor line was our life line, if it slipped we would have crashed against the rocks!!! He called me "Bartsu" (nuts) and has never stepped foot in my boat!! he now fishes just from shore!!!<br /><br />When I say that I fish in 17 fathoms or on the 30 fathom line it does not mean that we are on the bottom!!!! For some reason the fish here love to hang in them areas!!!!<br /><br />If you fish in our area and launch from gloucester, if you go just outside the breakwater you will see, what we call the striper fleet out by the red nun, can't miss them!!! If you want to fish the Ipswich Bay area the best place to launch is Granite Pier in Rockport!! In 15-20 minutes you will be on Jefferies ledge, 5 minutes to Halibut Point, 20 minutes to the western shore of the Merrimack!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I guess I lucked out on the coordinates.I was sure that you were going to direct me to the Gobi Desert.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Believe it or not rolmops, but that is how we use to find certain humps when we were young, line up a church steeple or water tank and a house or whatever!!!!!!<br />Was to poor for any electronic gear!!!!! ;) :cool: