Bait twisting

Bolo

Cadet
Hi : Whi is my ballyhoo bait twisting when troolling in calm seas at low speed for sail fish

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Bait twisting

:) Could be that your trolling line isn't centered on the bait!!! <br /><br />Go to www.baitmasters.com <br /><br />look to left and click on rigging tips!!! Might help ya!!!! This guy did a rigging article in a magazine if i can find it I will pass the info on!!! ;) :cool:

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

You probably have pressure on the bait caused by the hook. Next time, cut a slit in the bait a little longer where the hook exits. When the hook bend pulls on the bait instead of the rigging wire, the bait will curl and windmill just as you describe.

tonyscj5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah as said above, its all about how its rigged. How many hooks are you using? If 2, then you probably have the line between the two hooks pulling a crook in the bait. Not a sailfish bait fishing expert. But teasing them in and casting a fly at them is sure fun! Anywho when trolling for king salmon we try to make the bait roll as you describe, we use a 2 hook slip tied rig, and hook one through the nose and one through the ***, then pull the line taught and bend the bait so it rolls. The Kings love it that way, it immitates a wounded chovey.<br /><br />Good luck<br />Tony