shore fishing in/around San Diego?

BF

Lieutenant
Hiya,<br /><br />I'll be in San Diego in couple weeks and bringing the family. We're gonna spend at least a day/afternoon, maybe a couple on a beach/ocean front somewhere (gotta see the ocean, build sandcastles etc)... Do people shore fish in that area? I'm wondering if I should think about bringing a rod and few bits of tackle. Do you need a license for that? Is there a season? When it comes to the ocean, I'm very much a newbie.<br /><br />Thanks.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: shore fishing in/around San Diego?

San Diego is a big place, what beach(s) are you going to be at? There are a couple municiple piers in SD county that you can fish off of. One in Oceanside and one in LaJolla. I don't think you need a licence (it's been awhile since I was there). <br /><br />Don't recall seeing many surfcasters there as any non-swimming beach is usually loaded with surfers.

tylerin

Commander
Re: shore fishing in/around San Diego?

Few places you can Fish the surf, and as Gauge says many piers in that area. You do need at least a day license to fish. We fish the piers at night in Ventura and have a blast just watching all the nut cases, and catching a few fish or occasional shark. The piers are large and have restaurants, stores, coffee shops, etc.<br />Take a trip to Coronado