What's the most you've paid or would pay?

Ralph 123

Captain
The most I ever paid for a Rod was like $60 and about the same for a reel. granted they retailed for more but that's about my limit. what is the most you've paid (or would pay)?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: What's the most you've paid or would pay?

I'm almost ashamed to say that my last rod/reel combo was $240.00. I plead insanity.<br /><br />It looks great hanging on the wall of the doghouse.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Basically most of my spinning gear are Penn Slamer Rods, cost $60-70 bucks!!! which are about 5 years old,of which are used for chartering & personal use!!! Only have had to replace the plastic guide at the tip of the rod and replaced with medal tip!!!! Very happy with that brand of rod!!!!<br /><br /><br />Bought a custom rod with plastic eyelets for $200 came with life time warranty :( Well eyelets not covered!!! Never will spend money like that again!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It all depends on how big my paycheck is in a specific season.I spend more money in winter time on reels and rods than I should.right now I am eying a Penn 330gti for $110.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

We have been using Shimano Curado reels that run between $120 and $150 depending on which model. For rods I have been buying $50 - $70 rods from Academy. The rods don't seem to hold up so well in our environment so I'm thinking about springing for some higher grade ones like Allstars.

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

For bay fishing, I won't go over $75 for a rod or a reel. But, some of my offshore tackle goes for over $500. It sounds like a lot and it is. But when you consider I've had cheaper reels burn out during their first fish, and that these expensive reels will last a lifetime with (hopefully) hundreds of fish caught on them, it begins to look more economical. However, most of my offshore tackle runs from $125 to $200.

Ralph 123

Captain

Hey Tom, what are you fishing for, Moby D!ck :)

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He be right. Finding rods for offshore reels is expensive. $200 is about as cheap as you can find anywhere unless you really hunt. I have a 9/0 mounted on a 4'8" standup rod that was damaged and retipped with about a 3" loss to the rod. For sale at a great price because of the repair. That rod would have been $175 easy in new condition.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Offshore equipment is expensive and I can certainly vouch for that because a I have a few in the rack, but the most expensive stuff I have is for surf fishing. It's pretty easy to drop anywhere from $375- $400 for a rod and then turn around and drop another $200 - $300 on a reel

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

Marlin...Tuna...Amberjack...Sharks...Wahoo...<br />Trust me, you don't want your drag to lock when you have a large fish at the boat and it decides to take that one last run. A cheap rod will only break and then snap the line if you are lucky. You will get wet if you are not lucky.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

Ralph's $60 rod/reel were prob worth $200ea!<br />have a feeling he's a pretty good buyer ;) <br />bought a new Penn 85 15-20yrs ago in CA, but<br />can't remember how much. $60-$75?<br />ps. she still works great...

Brian J

Seaman Apprentice

That question needs some detail. An open spey rod? $300 plus<br /> - a cheap rod for $60 blanks break apart.<br /> - Muchie rod go cheap<br /> -bar rod go cheap but stiff<br /> -down rigger rod;<br /> allow for weight distubution, check numbers on shaft, med action, 20lb plus line/lure $200-450<br />anything less and you should not attempt even bothering venturing out!<br /><br />* Chances are that cheap rod loses more fish not because your a bad fishermen no nothing directed at you. a poor rod with good gear can make a difference yet a poor rod will never dance as well for the fish hunted

BillP

Captain

Whatever the penn reel (spinning, casting or trolling)I want costs is max I'm willing to pay for reels. Whatever a penn or shakespeare rod costs is max I'm willing to pay for rods. Like already mentioned, the higher price looks better after the years go by and the reels are still catching fish. <br /><br />The problem I see with people breaking reels and rods is mostly from rigging with too heavy of line and cranking the drag down. Putting 40lb line on a 20lb class rig and fishing it hard eventually cooks drags/gears and breaks rods.