New truck! (PICS)

11 footer

Lieutenant
Today I bought a new, and my first truck<br /><br />Its a 1996 Ford Bronco, Eddie Baure eddition, with the 5.7 V8<br />Its two tone, black with tan top and bottoms, every option but leather. It also has a few other goodies, like raingaurds,CD changer with remote, visor w/lights on the roof, and my favoriet, a sweet sounding custom stainless steel duel exaust.<br /><br />I bought it from a friend who gets cars at auction to sell at his gas station. I paid for it today, but I'm leaving it with him for a day or two, he's having the rear window motor replaced and replaceing the pump for the windsheald washer.<br /><br />I'll get some pics when I get her home, I can't wait! <br /><br />Future plans include installing a snow plow, tinting the windows and installing thumpers :cool:

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New truck! (PICS)

Good Luck with it! Have fun filling the gas tank! :) <br /><br />If it's a ford of that year it's either a 5.0 or 5.8. 302=5.0 (4.9 really) and 351=5.8. ;

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice Ryan. Awesome shape for a '96.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Drove my parents bronco back in the 80's. Want one again, so I can take the top off and cruise. <br /><br />Nice ride!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Nice clean unit Ryan. When I was a teen I used to dream of having a Bronco. Never quite got there though.<br /><br />How many miles on it?

11 footer

Lieutenant

Miles are kinda high @ 120,000 but I only paid four grand for the truck. I drove it around a bit today and everything seems to work as it should, smooth and straight up to 90 mph<br /><br />I don't think the hardtop has ever been removed on mine. There are interior panels covering the bolts that hold it to the body. The interior panel is held on with plastic clips, and I need a special tool to get them off without breaking them, so I gotta get that then I can to topless ;) I've been looking into soft tops, they are expensive!! They range from $300 to $600!! I can't decide on which style to get, but I'll have one soon. <br /><br />This morning I pulled into the gas station with 1/4 of a tank, it cost me $52 to “top her off” :eek:

D

DJ

Ryan,<br /><br />That's a 5.8L, not 5.7 (Chevy). That engine is the PI (power improved) model. It shares NOTHING with previous ('93' model year and prior), 5.8's.<br /><br />All in all, it's a great package, pretty much bulletproof. It's basically a shortened F-150. If you are unaware of the transmission history, get it flushed.<br /><br />As far as the top goes, yes, you can remove it. Just "carefully" pry back the trim and you'll see the bolts.<br /><br />Be aware that you may NEVER seal it up again. To make sure, use judicious amounts of silicone on the rubber weatherstrips, while the top is off.<br /><br />That was always one of my favorite vehicles. They are as tough as nails and nice to drive. About the only other thing to look at is the radius arm bushings. If they are worn, it will "dive" on braking.<br /><br />BTW, be careful, on slippery roads. That thing will spin (short wheelbase) on the blink of an eye.<br /><br />Rollover, is a non issue.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That's a beauty! Enjoy having fun in it and I don't have to tell you, Ryan, be safe. Those are some big wheels. Take it easy and live a long life.<br />Bassy

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Ryan,<br /><br />The truck is a blast I own a 1994. Couple of things, removal of the top in a 96 is a pain due to the rear seat belts being anchored to the removalable top. This means that nobody can ride in the back due to the lack of seat belts. (Illegal) <br /><br />DJ is right on, the tranny is a weak spot and if it fails you may want to look at putting in an old c-6 tranny which was tough as nails but just a three speed. Dump the factory hubs and put in locking warn hubs. This is an expensive truck to own. Watch for rust in the tailgate and the dash tends to have some rattles. The 5.8 is rock solid and powerful. The short wheelbase makes trailering a bit of a pain if the trailer has any weight. Any fishtailing is very noticeable in the steering. 17-18mpg on the highway with the cruise is the absolute max you will ever see. 12 in the city is average. If you hear a clunking noise in the drivetrain when you pull from a stop just remove the rear driveshaft and grease the splines. The tailgate is a terrible design so be careful with the rear window, the switches fail and they are a real pain to replace. If rust is showing on the tailgate it will take over real fast. Oh yea DJ is right on the rear end. It will come around on you so fast and there is little or no ability to correct until it stops spinning. Engaging the 4wd corrects this problem.<br /><br />Any and all parts can be had at www.broncograveyard.com. Good prices and huge selection. <br /><br />Enjoy, I love mine. Where are you finding a soft top for a 96'? They are usually custom on the later models.