Vermont Task Force Green Mountain (UPDATE)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That is great news, Bob. :) <br /><br />Not since WWII have private citizens stepped up to actively support our troops in a tangible way.<br /><br />Great community you have there. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Vermont Task Force Green Mountain (UPDATE)

30 Nov 05 They are coming home! The entire group should be in VT by mid Dec... Just in time for the holiday's!!! :) <br /><br /><br />This is a true human interest story..<br /><br />600 US Army National Guard members were activated from Vermont. The tour of overseas duty is scheduled for 18 months. This is the largest single group activated in Vermont since Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys captured Fort Ticonderoga from the British during the Revolution.<br /><br />I convinced my boss at Alderman's Chevrolet to step up to the plate and do something for our current soldiers. He agreed to provide free oil changes to all the soldier family households in our county (about 100) for the next 18 months. This was not done as a publicity or advertising stunt...just a terrific good will gesture to Support Our Troops. I typed up letter that will be distributed to the families by the National Guard Family Services Coordinator and had Mr. Alderman sign all of them.<br /><br />I had the pleasure to deliver the first letter myself to a soldiers wife who happen to be at the dealership getting service work done. I have also discovered that a local restaurant establishment is giving families free appetizers, Plumbers and Electricians have stepped up and will provide free labor for repairs too.<br /><br />It was a great feeling to know that despite the bad press, there are groups and individuals who really do show support. <br /><br />Proud to do my part. We all pray for the safe and speedy return.<br /><br />Bob US Army Retired 73-93

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Vermont Task Force Green Mountain (UPDATE)

Good work Bob. Need more of that. I love VT. We've got a lot of signs like that here in VA but I think most of them mean Va Tech. Took us a while to figure that out. <br /><br />Congratulations on a great community.<br /><br />Charlie, Retired Navy 59-91 (I didn't want to make a career out of it either)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Update! :) This is catching on!<br /><br />A local Tree Farm group (VT-NH Christmas Tree Association) has taken a giant step up to the plate and is donating 500 X-mas trees to the families.<br /><br />Bob

SoulWinner

Commander

This is why America is the greatest nation n Earth!

Bob_VT

Staff member

Update...<br /><br />Task Force Green Mountain was recently increased by an additional 130 soldiers from Vermont.<br /><br />Bob

crab bait

Captain

that's great.. <br /><br />get your legs blown off.. get a free oil change..

Bob_VT

Staff member

They are coming home! :D

heycods

Captain

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> that's great.. <br /><br />get your legs blown off.. get a free oil change..
Somebody always wants to whizz on the campfire.Gee I thought it was the good news network. lwr