I can't wait for this weekend!

sangerwaker

Commander
It's finally almost here. The weekend we have been planning for years. We've always talked about going down the Mississippi a ways, but have never done it. The old boat (16' Forester) might have been a little scary on Lake Pepin, but we should be ok in the new 20' Sanger.<br /><br />One of our friends, Bill, does this cruise every year, and we have always wanted to do it, too. This year we are going to go, but without Bill. This trek is usually what we call a "leaf cruise" to look at the fall colors, but I think we will be a week or two early this year. <br /><br />We plan on launching in Hastings on Friday afternoon, and cruising south of Lake Pepin to find an island to camp on. Stay there a couple nights and possibly traveling down river a little further Saturday. Then it's back to Hastings Sunday and back home. :( <br /><br />I have never been on the river that far south. Hopefully all goes well.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: I can't wait for this weekend!

Sangerwaker,<br /><br />I do this trip every year, and up until this year we did it in a 17ft larson bow rider with a 150hp Mariner. But usually we start in Prairie de Chein or La Crosse and head north. It is a great trip! <br /><br />If you want some suggestions let me know I could also send you pic's of one heavily ladened 17ft boat with (2) 225lb guys. Be careful where you stay, some of the islands are infested with snakes. Nothing dangerous that I know of but not a lot of fun to camp with. A tent, firewood, cooler and gear will fill up even a 20footer pretty quick!!!<br /><br />Gave a great trip.

sangerwaker

Commander

We planned on being loaded pretty heavy. Gotta have lotsa beer ya know! It'll be myself ,wife, 6 yr old son, and our teeny dog, MoJo. We camp frequently, and have all of the creature comforts. My boat is all storage under the bow, so I'm pretty sure we will have plenty of room. Weather looks like it will be good also.<br /><br />Thanks for the heads up on the snakes. Bill has never said anything about that. I'll have to check with him, too. I have a great river map, so I'm not too worried.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

One word of warning and you live there but not all of the wing dams are marked on the maps. Be careful and don't run outside of the channel at night!<br /><br />FYI there is a great little island just north (1/4 mile or so) of wabesha, on the rivers west side. There usually is about a 50' gibson housboat anchored on the southern end of the island. He is there every year and we usually spend at least one morning drinking coffee and shooting the breeze. Also the trains that run up and down the rivers bank have very little noise effect on this island. <br /><br />Wait until one of those bad boys blows its horn at 2am and send you through the roof of the tent cuz you are only 100 yards away. (Learned mistake) Enjoy and post some pic's<br /><br />Pointer

sangerwaker

Commander

Thanks again Ponter. As I said, I have never been that far south on the river, and in all honesty, I am not a great river captain. I do not plan on doing any night cruising. I'll leave that to the lake cruising near home. I'll be sure to check out the island you mention. Of course I will have the new digi camera with, so I'll be sure to post some pics.<br /><br />Thanks again!