TC-W3 oil in 2-stroke Motorcycle?

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can one of the oil experts settle this? Is TC-W3 ok to use in 2-cycle motorcycle/dirtbike engines? If not, why not? Trying to settle an argument at work.<br /><br /><br />(BTW - I vote for it being OK)<br /><br />THanks for any help,<br />Matt

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: TC-W3 oil in 2-stroke Motorcycle?

No expert, but the W stands for Water Cooled.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not OK, Matt. <br /><br />The "W" in TC-W3 means it is formulated for water cooled engines. They run a lot cooler combustion chamber temps than air cooled 2 strokes.<br /><br />Use only oil formulated for air cooled engines. Better yet, use only oil for 2 stroke motorcycle engines.<br /><br />I destroyed a nice chainsaw learning that. :(

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK - Thanks.<br /><br /><br />I thought that the W was for "watercraft" for some reason. . .<br /><br />That's why I come here - to dispel ignorace (Mainly my own!).

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

been using it for 15 years years+ in chain saws ATV's boat's weed eater and any other 2 stroke I can think of. Not ONCE have I blown an engine or had any amount of trouble. A couple of my chainsaws are the cheap O's that aren't suppose to last longer then a slow sunset. One saw just got retired bacause it was ran over by a tractor 15 year old poulan pull on and on and on.<br /> <br />{edited} because I forgot to mention I owned 3 air cooled sleds{snowmobiles}. Polaris recomends nothing but the tc-w3 be used.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by JB:<br />.<br /><br />I destroyed a nice chainsaw learning that. :(
Just curious what was your mix ratio?

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You got me thinking so I did a quick search on companys that make the tc-w3 oils and they do recomend it for air cooled engines {even for chainsaws}. Also searched some 2 stroke companys and they seem to have no trouble with using it in air cooled engines.

one more cast

Captain

Kilroy, I always use TC-W3 oil in all my 2 cycles and all the web sites I checked say something like this...<br /> <br /><br /> TC-W3 oil<br /> <br />Designed for two-cycle engine applications where the fuel and the oil are mixed, for use in boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles and a multitude of hard working two-cycle engines..

one more cast

Captain

This post struck an interest and upon more searching it seems some company's make both water cooled 2 cycle oil and air cooled 2 cycle oil while other company's make one 2 cycle oil with additives for both air and water cooled engines. Some of the TC-W3 ( Two Cycle - Water cooled 3rd generation ) oils are not recomended for air cooled engines.

JB

40:1 in a Poulan.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems like there's never a "Yes/No" answer with oil questions, huh?

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by KilroyJC:<br /> Seems like there's never a "Yes/No" answer with oil questions, huh?
OK, "NO" <br /><br />Your main problem will be more carbon issues. If the oil is a duel purpose oil its better, but still not the smartest thing to do. One of the TC-W3 rests is an air cooled engine test. Like we have said in past threads, you could just use regular car oil and would not likely see any imeadiate failures. Be smart, use the right oil and stop flurting with disaster, there really is a difference.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KilroyJC:<br /><br />Can one of the oil experts settle this? Is TC-W3 ok to use in 2-cycle motorcycle/dirtbike engines? If not, why not?
It would be ok if the TC-W3 oil was also rated TC/JASO. <br /><br />Air-cooled engine oils generally have low-ash dispersant formulations. Liquid-cooled engine oils generally have ashless or ash-free dispersant formulations. Using a low-ash oil in a liquid-cooled engine could lead to the formation of deposites, fouled plugs, gummy combustion chambers, and other problems like ring sticking.<br /><br />Your engine manufacturer will specify what type of oil to use, and that's what you want.

JB

Well, I guess TOD, BF AKA LD and I are outvoted, but I will never again use water cooled oil in an air cooled 2 stroke or vice-versa.<br /><br />BTW, oil dudes, is it okay to deep fry catfish in Amsoil? :D

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why the assumption that the DB engine is air cooled?? Most have been water cooled since the '80s.

JB

"Most"??<br /><br />I really doubt that.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I used to think it was the other way with low ash additives. That air cooled engine oils used them rather than water cooled engine oils because they were capable of operating at higher temperatures than ashless dispersants. So the reverse is true is it?

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by JB:<br /> "Most"??<br /><br />I really doubt that.
Go to the Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki/KTM websites and you won't find a serious aircooled (we call them "dry dogs")dirt bike over 51cc. The last was a '89 490 Yamaha.<br />The P.O.S. 49cc Chinese imported dirt bike wannabe that sells for $499 doesn't even qualify. It'd probably 'grenade with anybody's oil. <br />I think that you're generalizing a little too much! Air cooled is truly the exception in dirt bikes! Perhaps you're thinking of MOPEDS.<br />With that said, no I don't use TC-W3 in my race bike. Nor would I use Golden Spectro in my outboard.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> I used to think it was the other way with low ash additives. That air cooled engine oils used them rather than water cooled engine oils because they were capable of operating at higher temperatures than ashless dispersants. So the reverse is true is it?
You caught my lysdexia. I'm glad someone's paying attention. Thanks...I'll fix that post. :)

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by JB:<br /> 40:1 in a Poulan.
Thanks JB sorry for asking stupid questions, but I have another one, how many hrs were on the saw? The newer poulans craftsmans mc's {low priced} husky and a few more are all made by the same company{eletrolux}. They are only 50hr machines. They are not designed to be used for very long, the muffler system is horrible, it holds way to much heat in. <br /> <br /> With that said I also use 40:1{+} and never have had any trouble. There is also a simple mod you can do to the muffler that makes the machine run MUCH cooler and helps with performance.