Dial Up Users Website Test (updated site)

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
If you are a dial-up usser, would you help me with something? One of my clients for my business is having problems with a certain page on her site.<br /><br />Can you visit this page, A Cabin Page , and then click the links to the pictures (“Inside Pictures”, “View from Cabin Pictures”, and “Area Pictures”).<br /><br />When you click the link, another page will appear. This page just contains a flash page where you can click the number of the picture you want to see. <br /><br />What is happening with my client is that the page loads, but all of the pictures don’t seem to load. My guess is that the problem is that the flash presentation is too large for dial-up users. Do you get the same results?<br /><br />I appreciate any help you can provide. I had a local friend (who used dial-up) test this out and they had no problem.<br /><br />They could take up to two minutes to download.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Dial Up Users Website Test (updated site)

I waited about 10 minutes for it to load on a 50.6 connection. It still showed downloading without anything showing on the screen. I think its just for fast connections.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Bears bears everywhere, even dancing bears above the mantle. :) <br /><br />Beautiful cabin.

waterinthefuel

Commander

I have 4mbps cable and it loaded fine for me.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for testing this for me. I will have to build an alternative for dial-up users.<br /><br />I probably need to get a second ISP using dial-up so I can test this myself in the future. I use cable internet and although I use a website download speed checker, it isn't exact.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took about a minute on my DSL so that would translate to 8 to 10 minutes on dial up. Problem is that anything that takes that long on dial up often fails before it gets there. I notice that it loads ALL the pictures before showing anything. Maybe for dial up you could have it load one at a time from links or thumbnails as the user selects them. That way it wouldn't seem as long and the chance of the download failing altogether would be less.

TilliamWe

Banned

Not sure how fast my connection is, but it's got to be pretty slow, and I got the pics page loaded in about 45 sec. Now of course I'm on netzero, so the were blurry, but not too bad to know that I like the quilt work. Especially bedroom #2 or maybe it was #3!

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

I clicked on a few of the links and they loaded within a couple of minutes. My transfer speed is about 3.5kb/s.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all for testing. Right now, the flash program loads all the pictures because they are imbedded into the .swf file.<br /><br />I'm going to try to figure out how to just point to the pictures and then they load when their number is selected. The file size will be much smaller.<br /><br />When I have time...

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Took about 10 seconds to load on my cable broadband... dialup sux. I'd hate to have to go back to it.

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is the one (and only) advantage I have by not having a high speed connection available where I live. All the sites I create work great on a dial-up connection.

Realgun

Commander

Dialup? OH the slower than molases internet. :) <br /><br />I will give up beer before I give up my cable!<br /><br />To bad I don't like beer.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I made an alternative for dial-up users (Low Speed). The page still has lots of pictures on it; however, the page should start loading for dial-up users and the pictures will gradually come in as they are downloaded to the browser cache.<br /><br />I appreciate any testing done. Once you go to this page, cabin click on "low speed".<br /><br />Thanks!

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Nice pictures. I have high speed and it took a few seconds to load. Dial up takes too much time. You have to be willing to wait seems like forever.