LOOKING FOR NY LAKE

KIPER

Cadet
FROM VA. WE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LAKE TO FISH IN UPPER NY THAT HAS GOOD SMALLMOUTH AND LG MOUTH FISHING IN EARLY SEPT. WE LOOKED AT BLACK LAKE ,AND MIGHT GO THERE BUT WANTED OTHER OPTIONS ANY WEB SITES WOULD BE HELPFUL THANKS.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: LOOKING FOR NY LAKE

Are you looking to be in the Black Lake area ????<br /><br />St.Lawrence River is Full of Bass......<br /><br />Lake Ontario is another Good Bet.........<br /><br />Lot's & lot's of smaller lakes, ponds,+ rivers/streams to fish around here............<br /><br />websites I can't help you with.... BTW, Loose the Cap-Lock.....It's Anoying,+ Bad Manners.......

kipper

Cadet

sorry about the cap's bondo i don't need to be in black lake just scouting a good lake to catch big fish around sept we like to catch lg and smallmouth bass catfish muskie we don't have any trout stuff so that is out. are the larger lakes very rough water to boat on we have a 21 ft triton bassboat.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Take a look at Lake George on the NY / Vermont border. Nearly every kind of fish in there. You should have no problem finding a place to stay that time of year for a few less sheckles of what folks pay during the peak season. Not sure if you plan on going in the beginning or end of Sept. but things should also be getting colorful at that time.

Bondo

Staff member

to catch big fish around sept we like to catch lg and smallmouth bass catfish muskie
That Sounds like the 1000 Islands region of the St Lawrence River.............<br />From Cape Vincent downstream(Northeast) to almost Ogdensburg............<br />On the River, with all the Islands there's Always some flat water to be found......<br />A Minor problem with fishing the river is,.. If you want to fish the Otherside, You'll need an Ontario Licence.......<br />Good Thing is, They're Not Too Expensive...... Mine is $30.00@year......<br /><br />There's Plenty of Launches,+ Lodging All along the River.......<br /><br /> This Link,........... will give you some Ideas.........<br /><br />If or When you get serious about the trip, I'll help you out anyway I can............<br /><br />I don't wander down here(Activities& Destinations) too often, But I can Always be found in the Engine/Outdrive forums..... ;)

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good morning kiper, i also encourage fishin on the st. lawrence and lake champlain. there are how ever some great small lakes in the adirondacks. chateaguay lake in franklin county, i have caught 4-5 lb samllies and 6lb large mouths, as well as some 3ft northern. <br /><br />there is also the upper st. regis lake in the paul smiths college area, that holds quality bass and northern and is well known for the adirondack great camps.<br />the upper and middle saranac lakes are great fishin as well, but sept would be best as the tourists are heading out.<br /><br />good fishn!!

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kiper, also, i would not waste my time going to black lake, while it may be a highly touted bass fishery it has become congested with millfoil you can walk on, and the fishing pressure is herendous. i drove there last year, 90 miles, what a waste of time and money.

KIPER

Cadet

so you think black lake in early sept is no good ? or there are better places to fish that time of year there.is there less milfoil at that time of year and less traffic on black lake.

one more cast

Captain

Black lake will be solid weeds in early sept.(I guess thats what you guys are calling milfoil) I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing But I got tired of pulling up my trolling motor every 3 Min's. and went home. Flahthead goes up every June and has a great time.<br /> Stillwater reservoir is a beautiful small lake to tent camp on with lots of smallies, no weeds but it can go from forty feet to 2 feet deep in a blink of an eye. It has claimed many a lower unit and props and the road to get there is dirt and has about 10 miles or more of washboard.

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kiper i would not waste my time at black lake during any season, as i said if you are not figthing the milfoil you are dodging the rocket powered bass boats that litterally number in the dozens. the adirondack mountains of upstate ny offer some great fall fishin without the boat traffic.<br /><br />get back to me here and i can suggest some other lakes.

KIPER

Cadet

ok teamstromer i thank all of you for your input it has been very helpful. i've got the ok from the wife to set up a trip somewhere for a week in early sept. my preferences are nice smallmouth and lgmouth muskie pike etc... we would like to stay somewhere that we can dock our boat with electric to charg batts a 2 bed room cottage w all the goodies inside.and of course not to expensive. i've looked all over internet for stuff and it's hard to find places w pic's of lodging and of the water we want to fish.<br />again thank for everyones help. <br /><br />ps no zebra mussels

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kiper if you are looking for accomodations and docking, your best bet would be along the st lawrence river from ogdensburg east thru waddington and east to massena. there are several motels that are with in easy access of the st. lawrence.

Bondo

Staff member

Have a look Here............... for a general overview of the 1000 Islands area........<br /><br />This is the place that Lady Fish's Mom(LF can usually be found down in DC chat) stays at in the summer........<br />Things have slowed down by Sept.,+ the rates go down........<br />It's a Pretty Nice place that has what you're looking for......<br />Check It Out..................................

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I'm still pushing the Finger Lakes.<br />Here a link to some nice rental cottages (7 at last count) operated by an ex-school teacher and his wife. They are waterfront, very well kept and on one of the best muskie lakes in the east (my cousin caught a 49"er in 1989). I used to own a house within walking distance of Wright's and still have family right there.<br /><br /> http://www.wrightscottages.com/ <br /><br />Waneta Lake is one of the smaller lakes, but is known for it's fine fishing. All the species you listed are in abundance. It's about 20 miles west of Watkins Glen (southern tip of Seneca Lake). The area is very rural, so don't expect to go shopping at the mall.....