Need compact boat for 25 hp motor

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd like to have a boat to use with my old 25 hp Johnson. I don't have room for a boat with trailer so I looked at inflatables. A 12 foot is about $1200 and I'm not sure how long they last. The fold flat boat won't take that big a motor. I have a pickup and I'd like a boat that would fit in/on it perhaps with one of those extender holder-uppers that goes in the receiver. Does anybody make a lightweight hydroplane or sport-style boat that wouldn't require a big trailer?

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need compact boat for 25 hp motor

Why wouldn't you get one of the ubiquitous 12-14' light aluminum boats? There are lots of devices sold to carry them upright on your pickup. Look in any outdoor magazine or in various catalogs.

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Mike and the aluminum.<br /><br />I had considered an inflatable, until the owner of one told me (he was selling his) "just pump it up hard in the morning and it will be all right through the day" (I hope he was talking about the BOAT! :) ) <br /><br />No thanks.<br /><br />If your water is rough, look at a aluminum "V" hull. You'll ride better and stay a little drier.<br /><br />Good luck

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just be sure the boat you get is rated for 25hp.<br /> Keep in mind youll have to remove the motor<br />to transport.A 25 can be a pain to haul around.<br /> Good luck.