Need A Useful Internet Search Engine

mscher

Lieutenant
Now most of the search engines (google, yahoo, MSN) give the results for stuff paying advertisers want to sell, rather than page results for what you typed in.<br /><br />An example would be entering an all word search of <br /><br />"1966 Sears Garden Tractor" and getting the results like "buy a garden tractor at Lowes"<br /><br />Sure, it's all about the money but so what. :mad: <br /><br />I remember seeing somewhere that are are still real search engines out there, giving results on typed keywords and not just on who is shelling out the most jack$$.<br /><br />Any know of some?<br /><br />Marty

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need A Useful Internet Search Engine

have you tried Dogpile.com

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Marty Scher:<br /> Now most of the search engines (google, yahoo, MSN) give the results for stuff paying advertisers want to sell, rather than page results for what you typed in.
No, they don't. Search results for any established company like Yahoo or Google do not contain any paid ads. Google is as "real" as you're going to find. The only ads on google are in small boxes on the right side of the page.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I thought google ranked their results by # of visitors to the sites. not positive though.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />
Originally posted by Marty Scher:<br /> Now most of the search engines (google, yahoo, MSN) give the results for stuff paying advertisers want to sell, rather than page results for what you typed in.
No, they don't. Search results for any established company like Yahoo or Google do not contain any paid ads. Google is as "real" as you're going to find. The only ads on google are in small boxes on the right side of the page.
Google ranks as to hits, excepting the pages down the right side(as you said) and the first page or two on top shaded in blue. and example http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=advertising&btnG=Google+Search <br />That is how they pay the bills. ;)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Links greatly affect how pages are ranked in google. So if one web site links another, the other's rank goes up.<br />Why do you think Iboats is so concerned with us linking their competitors directly like www.IboatsCompetitor.com but not by indirectly refering to them as IboatsCompetitor.com?

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

The first item in Google's FAQ addresses how they make money. <br /><br />
Google does not sell placement within our actual search results. We believe paid advertising can provide information as useful as search results, but that users should always be able to distinguish between the two.
One way that I've found to ensure that you only find information on a subject, and not sites trying to sell you something, is to search for something you actually want to buy ;) .

Realgun

Commander

Google is there any other search? :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

AltaVista still works reasonably well.<br />I use it when google doesn't find what I'm looking for.

KRS

Banned

It's the sites that provide meta names that the search engines pick up, not the other way around.<br /><br />The higher paid the site builder, the more hits it gets.

waterinthefuel

Commander

hark I saw an ad for it on the TV yesterday. Looks like it might be good.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

You probably have to look harder for what you are looking for. Maybe you have to search a few more pages than just the first page to find what you are looking.