Ranger may need clean out

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
I have a '88 Ranger that has about 190K miles on it. I'm sure it's somewhat gunked up inside. Someone told me I could run diesel motor oil in it and it'll do some cleaning since diesel oil, like RPM, is higher detergent than auto oil. Any comments?

Ron G

Commander
Re: Ranger may need clean out

How about some seafoam deep creep??

LubeDude

Admiral

Here is the "Skinny" on what you want to do.<br /><br />If it is indeed "Gunked up", You need to be VERY carefull about trying to clean it out. Being too agressive can clog some small oil pasages and actually ruin your currently running engine.<br /><br />If you can actually see a bunch of build up through the oil fill cap, you may be better off just leaving things well enough alone. If on the otherhand, all you see is just a light coating, then something like sea foam might do the trick. You will have to do a lot of oil changes at first and you will get tired of buying oil and filters and the results may not be what you are looking for. Nothing is going to make is squeaky clean again.<br /><br />My suggestion would be to do a decarb procedure on it, and let it go at that.

dolluper

Captain

The build up at the filler cap usually is a sign of a sledged up motor [poorly maintained]I have seen them so bad the oil drains in the heads are completly coated over with sledge,and the motor smoking out the exhaust.Open up the drains and it's like a new motor,the old carbed engines used to plug where the PCV hose entered the carb,pipe cleaner sometimes solved the problem without pulling the intake My all time favorite cleaner is trannie fuild[automatic]fast idle pour in carb and let her smoke cough cough

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 318 in it. This thing gunks up like no other truck have ever seen. I have changed the oil every 3000 miles since it was new, and I have always used Castrol 5w-30. Sometimes, the sludge gets so bad that the oil pressure goes to zero. I found out that this is a very common problem witha Dodge. Do a Google search under "oil Sludge problems" and see what you find.<br /><br />Here is what i did. First I pulled the pan and cleaned out the sludge buildup, and cleaned the oil pickup tube and screen. Go to the auto parts store and get enough oil and filters for two complete oil changes. While you are there, GUNK makes a product called "Engine Flush" (I am sure it is nothing more than Kerosene)<br /><br />Dump one can of cleaner in the crank case and run for ten minutes AT IDLE. Change the oil and filter. Repeat the process again. Finally, change the oil and filter one last time and you are done. <br /><br />Now, I routinely clean my system every three oil changes. It has worked for me. I have 229,000 miles on the engine now.