Labelling maglites

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a bunch of maglite flashlights for the boat and I want to label them with their respective storage locations. I figure just using a label maker will be a short lived solution as the labels will peel off with use. What do you folks recommend for a more permanent labelling method? I thought about spray paint and stencils, but this'll rub off with time too i expect. Any spray paints that would last longer than others? Thanks for any input!

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Labelling maglites

Paint a color code on each light that matches up with color coded storage locations. The colors can be used for other items that are to be stored in those locations as well. You can post a master chart with the locations and color codes on it.<br /><br />You have a much bigger boat than most folks on this forum. :D

ZmOz

Captain

Why does it matter where each one goes?<br /><br />You should be able to buy an electric engraver for about $10 which would easily mark the aluminum...

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

Check out his personal website and you'll see he has a "Ship" and not a boat. :eek:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

3M makes a Permanent film. Go to any cut vinyl graphics place and get 3m permanent vinyl and wrap differant strips around the handles. Most graphic stores can even permanently print on the vinyl or use custom cut vinyl labels. The stuff is waterproof and durable. Label the locations the same way. You can even get it in reflective patterns like the vinly used to mark tractor trailers. The reflective vinyl works great and is easy to spot. Google it or visit a sign store.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Chuck them up in a lathe and cut rings in the bodies corresponding to their numbered locations.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like the idea of an engraver...maybe I can get my little rotary tool to do that...I want big block letters with the appropriate compartment name so there is no confusion. Maybe I can engrave the letters and paint them in a contrasting color...<br /><br />So the boat is the primary training vessel for the Sea Scout unit that I help run. She's crewed by a group of young men under the supervision of a few adult leaders such as myself. We cruise all over the SF bay and Delta and some coastal stuff teaching the kids anything there is to be taught on the water. I've being involved for almost 10 years, since I was 14. When I joined we had the 65 foot Warden Johnston (the former prison boat for Alcatraz). In 1998 we got an 82 foot former CG cutter which served us very well until we got the 95 foot ex cutter this February. We'll be looking for a new home for the 82 shortly. We also have small boats ranging from little inflatable toys to ski boats, and small sailboats on up to a 27 foot sloop.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Way-kewl "boat",Warden, and way-kewl mission!<br /><br />I too, would engrave them. But i would remove the lamp bulbs first. The engraving tool will vibrate the elements into so much metal dust.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Warden<br /><br />The screw cap at the back has a black O ring. See if you are able to get different colour O rings. This will provide you with a non destructive ID.<br /><br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

KRS

Banned

Rings of 3M reflective tape, one silver ring, two silver rings, one red ring, etc.<br /><br />The tape is 1" wide, and just wrap it around the girth, to make a ring and use as many as you like. It works in low-light environments.<br /><br />Good Luck, love the boat!

KRS

Banned

I believe they sell the tape in smaller widths, which would make going up to 5-6 rings easier, given the size of your boat you may need to go there.<br /><br />Maybe silver rings for above deck, and red for below? Another for engine room.<br /><br />See here:<br /><br />http://www.google.com/url?sa=l&ai=BUOX0u--5Q-bKKJLurALeq9iGDKy10AnCg9OiAZ-7whHgiRwIABABGAEoAjgASJ85UMm1nNQHyAEBlQIKMEsK&q=http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_6350.asp%3Fpricode%3Dw b155<br /><br />You may also find it anywhere that 18-wheeler trailer products are sold, as striped reflective tape is required on trailers.<br /><br />here: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...toreId=6970&productId=37973&R=37973&langId=-1

KRS

Banned

One more plug for the reflective tape, just look at my avatar! This would make for easy identification in any lighting conditions rather than looking for engraving, etc.<br /><br /><--------- see :)

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

While all of the color coding ideas sound great, I was looking for a way to write the name of each compartment on the flashlight itself, like "BRIDGE", "GALLEY", "ENGINE ROOM", etc... so there is no question about where it belongs. Reflective tape for dark visibility is a good idea though for sure. We do dark training whereby we'll darken the entire ship at night and send the kids below for important safety equipment, etc...so they'll know by gut feel where stuff is located during an emergency.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

(B)ridge = Blue<br />(G)alley = Green<br />Engine (R)oom = Red...etc.<br /><br />Works for everything else besides tools and not that hard to remember