serpentine belt removal/ installation

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced the water pump on my 98 taurus and I am having a he!! of a time getting the serpentine belt back on. I think the tensioner might be shot, but i'm not sure. If I am not mistaken I just need to put a wrench in the nut on the pulley and it should move to allow me put the belt on. I cant get the thing to budge. I bought a new one but I was hoping someone could give me some direction the best way to install it. Thanks in advance <br /> Dan

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice
Re: serpentine belt removal/ installation

On my 97 Tahoe you do not use a wrench, all you have to do is push in on the tensioner to loosen the belt.

Bondo

Staff member

Dan,<br />Is that the 1 that takes a 15mm wrench,+ you have to pull on it Backwards to make it Work,..???.....

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

yes bondo I believe it is. It also has a stardrive bolt holding the tensioner in place. Do I need to loosen it before I move it?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You don't remember what you had to do to release the tension to remove the belt? Also, are you putting the belt back on properly. It never fails with me, I'll screw around until I look at the diagram in the engine compartment and I'll have been routing the belt wrong. You shouldn't have to loosen that stardrive bolt to move the tensioner.

Dunaruna

Admiral

It is 15mm. There should be no locking bolt, it relies on spring tension. Turn it CLOCKWISE to release the tension (most serp belt tensioners go anti clockwise but the taurus goes clockwise). The routing diagram should be a sticker on the inside of the hood.<br /><br />There ain't much room in there to swing a wrench, a special tool is available from autozone (borrow it for free, if you buy a new serp belt).

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

I took off the Idler pulley and the belt fell right off(stop laughing, it seemed like the thing to do at the time). I am 99 percent sure the belt is on right. I am going to take another look at it tomorrow I am looking at the new one I just bought and It's kind of making sense how the stupid thing works. thanks for your responses and keep them coming if you have any more advise<br /> Dan

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info Dunaruna. One more silly question. When I release the tension, will it stay that way untill I tighten again or do I have to hold it while I put the belt on.

Bondo

Staff member

It's a Big Spring,........<br /><br />Get the Belt,.... Totally into position,.. On ALL the pulleys,+ Then Haul back on the Wrench,+ Slip the belt onto the Idler.....<br />Then Let Go....Ya Can't fart around,.... It'll Bite your fingers....... ;) <br />
I took off the Idler pulley and the belt fell right off(stop laughing, it seemed like the thing to do at the time).
Ayuh,.........<br /><br />You did the Easy Part,..... The Hard Way............ :rolleyes: :D

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks bondo, thats what I thought. I do have that problem of tearing into something without really looking at all the options. That, combined with a very limited supply of metric tools, has made this a frustrating project. I hate the metric system. Thanks again everyone, I think it finally sunk into my thick skull how this works.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I don't know why, but 15mm is becoming more and more popular. If it was a single hex bolthead, a 5/8 would do the job, but not with double hex (stardrive).<br /><br />I have the exact opposite problem downunder - I hate AF. :p

Bondo

Staff member

I Just Wish that the USA had adopted the Metric system when they 1st Told Me About It...............<br />That was about 1962 or 63............<br />They said we'd transition in 10 or 15 years,........... :rolleyes: <br /><br />Atleast Then,..... I would own but 1/2 as many Tools as I Do Today............... :rolleyes: :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

We have been adapting to the metric system. Its called "Japanese cars"....

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Could be worse....I just changed the serp belt on a neighbor's 2003 Chevy Malibu. Easy enough with plenty of clearance, but I had to use my engine crane to support the motor while I took a motor mount off. That stupid belt loops right around the mount and it can't be removed otherwise. Had no problem with the tensioner, though...this one just takes the business end of a 3/8 inch ratchet to give a solid grip and move it. <br /><br />I liked Bondo's comment...years ago I got "bit" by one myself. Broke my finger. I felt like a cartoon character with my finger jammed between a grooved alternator pulley and the belt under FULL tension. Then, of course, I dropped the wrench. Screamed there for about 10 minutes until my wife came out. Then I had to talk her through finding the wrench (which unfortunately didn't fall ALL the way through to the ground) so I could rescue myself. All while in HORRIFYING pain. Lesson learned: Now I only pull them back with a VERY long wrench and make DARN sure I have that wrench firmly placed wherever it needs to be. Respect those buggers.<br /><br />Another tip...It's usually easier to go ahead and loop the new belt around the tensioner early in the game. Then hold the tensioner back and set the loose belt onto a pulley that's up top (maybe an alternator, A/C, or idler pulley, for instance) and much easier to reach. Everyone always seems to think that belt has to go on the tensioner LAST....why is that? That's the HARDEST one to put it on because the wrench is always in the way!<br /><br />I've done Taurus's before...'tis a knuckle skinner...barely any room between the frame rail and the tensioner pulley to get a wrench in there. It can be quite a challenge if you have only standard mechanics tools. Ditto on the eariler recommendation to rent or borrow the proper tool if this becomes too difficult for you to get yours in there.

one more cast

Captain

Some of them tensioner arms have a 1/2 square hole that work great with your ratchet or breaker bar.

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

I got it done. I rented the tool from autozone, changed the tensioner pulley, put on a new serpentine belt, put the overlfow tank back on filled the radiator, and started it up all in 45 minutes. And it was dark out. I guess thats proof that with the right tools and and a little know how from all of you smart fellows anything is possible. I've come to find out that the original tensioner was shot. I've never dealt with one of those things before and the first one I see is busted. Thats why I had a heck of a time figuring out how it worked. anyway thanks for all your advise and I hope someday I can answer a question you might have.(anything hvac related)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Im with OMC on this. I think the Taurus has a square hole in it that you use. On a Taurus I usually route the belt around everything thats bearly accessiable including the tensioner, then release the tensioner with wrench and install on the alternator last. Thats easier than trying to get it around the tensioner last.

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

I have the old tensioner and it has a 15mm bolt on the pulley. It is a 98 so maybe they changed it. I would hope they have because the frame of the vehicle is within an inch of the bolt; making it impossible to get a socket on it. I thought about buying a long 15mm wrench but I don't plan on using a long 15mm anytime in the near future. The tool I got from autozone worked really slick. It has a 2 foot bar with a 3/8ths square drive and an assortment of crowfoot wrenches. the whole thing costed 20 bucks and I get that back when I return the tool. What I did was put the belt in all except Idler pulley, which is right out front and high, and put it around that last.

Dunaruna

Admiral

The way you fitted the belt is spot on. <br /><br />So the $20 was just for security (no actual charge for using the tool)? <br /><br />That model definetly used the 15mm bolt as opposed to a recessed 3/8 square (which is also common).

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah the 20 bucks is the cost of the tool. I could keep it if I want to, or take it back for a full refund. Thats the way I understood it anyway. If they do charge me something for using the tool maybe I'll just keep it. I am sure I'll need it again. I also have a 99 grand am and a 90 blazer that will need serpentine belts before I get rid of them. Now that I am an old pro I am sure I'll tackle it myself. I haven't looked yet but i'll bet the pontiac has a whole different set of headaches.