Income Tax Question?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Is residential mortgage interest deductable from unearned income?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Income Tax Question?

I don't think so. But don't quote me. I know there are CPAs on this board.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I see no reason you cannot. Here's my understanding....and my disclaimer. I am not an accountant...I was a certified financial planner in a past life so I have some tax knowledge and TRY to stay current. <br /><br />But assuming we're talking federal tax here:<br /><br />If you are permitted to itemize deductions, meaning you don't make too much money (about $145K gross for 2005, which may result in limits), you don't simply take the standard deduction, and the AMT does not apply, then yes your mortgage interest from a primary residence is deductible from your gross income. <br /><br />Form 1040 does not distinguish the difference between earned and unearned except within the "income" section where it is used to determine your gross income. The schedule A deduction comes on the next page and is applied to your entire gross income. So it doesn't seem to matter whether it is earned or unearned.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm! that's encouraging C1C. Thanks!

KRS

Banned

I believe the only restrictions with unearned income relate to IRA contributions.... but again, hope someone can answer with more experience.