Keep bees away from beehive

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
In the new house I discovered a large beehive in the garage attic that has been abandoned, but still has a lot of honey.<br /><br />Do you guys recon it was abandoned cause of the season change or something else?<br /><br />What is the solution to preventing them from coming back.<br /><br />Ken

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Keep bees away from beehive

Have you taken a look inside the nest. If its cold in your attic, they may just be dormant in side the hive. I "bombed" a wasp nest that I had in my soffit. Got most of them, but the remaining little bas&*%#'s just moved further in. Had to bomb them again then reclose the soffits better so they couldn't get back in.<br /><br />I'm guessing that you want to remove it. However you do it, make sure the weather is good and cold so if there are any left inside it will be too cold for them to be active. You might want to hit it with a bug bomb first. BTW, how big is it?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bees don't "abandon" hives with honey in them.<br /><br />Check the Yellow Pages for an Apiarist (beekeeper) and get him/her to look at it.<br /><br />Good luck. Wild Honey is the best honey. :)

Ron G

Commander

JB is right,my uncle brouht a hive that had fallen down last winter to the shop an placed it on the side this spring it came back alive and they were all black bees which are very orranarry,or mean as h#ll when you get around them,if theres no bees moving take the entire hive and put in a container with the motionless bees and carry it to the woods.if your into gardening or have fruit trees get somebody to comeover and put them in a supper and next year your garden or trees will produce better than ever.<br /><br />OHHHH your in texas be careful those could be some of those killer bees.VERY MEAN.

Ron G

Commander

And the prevention is to seal up ever crack with caulk.if bigeer holes are there use screenwire.