seafom in crankcase

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
I changed my oil in my 1994 jeep today and added about 8oz on seafoam to the oil, inline 4.0 has 161k on engine always changed the oil at 3k , got the jeep with 110k on it, question do you thing it is ok to leave the seafoam in it for 3k miles till next oil change ? it has the famous lifter tap noise when it is running ! thank for any replys !! :confused:

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: seafom in crankcase

Shouldnt be a probl;em, watch the color of the oil and if it gets real black, real quick, I would change it a bit sooner than normal, say at about 2,000 miles. Repeat using the seafoam and keep watching the oil, eventually it will become normal again. Those 4 liters are known to go beyond 300,000 miles with good maintenance.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply, it runs very good, i did use wallyworld oil filter, it is a bit smaller then the purolater that i use ! hope that seafoam stops the lifter tick!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by johnson 110:<br /> hope that seafoam stops the lifter tick!
If it doesnt, try Marvel Mystery oil the next time. Ive seen it work wonders. Dont know why.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I would (on the next oil change) substitute a quart of oil for a quart of "Rislone". It works the BEST of all the snake oils in busting up varnish, that is most likely the cause of sticky lifters. I use it every 3rd or 4th oil changes in my high mile, zero problem Astro van

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There is a high chance that what you are hearing is not abnormal so dont expect it to change.The 4.0 motors have always had a deisel type of sound,even when new.Nothing to alarmed of.If you have any oil leaking which would usually be towards the rear of the engine ,what you hear will be more obvious if you get a quart low.Dont waste your money on additives for this motor.The inline 4.0 6cyl will go 200k w/o good maintenance so with decent maintenance it WILL go 300k.Same goes for the tranny.Mechanics refer to it as "tehe bullet proof tranny".Charlie

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I left the Seafoam in my van for a little over a week. It really thinned out the oil and I had fine black stuff coming out the exhaust. Made the engine sound great, but think it was not good for the catalytic converter.<br /><br />??

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Yep on the 'Verter"...I would search the can saying its ok for cats, or the price of a plugged up converter will set ya WAY back.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

The fine black stuff coming out the exhaust, would that be the carbon?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The seafoam was only in the crankcase, not the fuel tank. I think the oil was so thin that it was running past the rings and out the exhaust.<br /><br />I had run some thru the fuel system a few weeks earlier, and didn't have any black exhaust residue.<br />Then I put it in the crankcase as I was getting ready to change the oil.