About 2 year old gas!

LubeDude

Admiral
That old RX/7 I used for parts had about 4 gallons of old gas in it and I figure it must be at least 2 years old as it wasnt registered sence 2003. I could see into the tank from the top as I removed the fuel pump and there was nothing like water or anything in the bottom. Well, I filtered it, dumped some stablizer I had in it and dumped it in my truck then went and filled it up so it has about 12 gallons of fresh fuel mixed with it. I drove it home last night and into work this morning and it runs the same as it always did, no change at all.<br /><br />Now watch it crap out on me on the way home tonight in the rain all to save less than $12.00 of gas. :eek:

Trent

Captain
Re: About 2 year old gas!

Maybe you should have called a tribologist? :D :D

dolluper

Captain

At least the stabilizer is keeping the fresh gas good :D :D :p

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

You did the right thing and your truck will be 100% fine. A lotta other idiots would have been scared to run 2 year old stuff and would have dumped it in a ditch somewhere instead.<br /><br />I have a slightly different story from a while back...I emptied out 2 gallons of old nasty gas from a riding mower that had been abandoned about 5 years back. Didn't filter it, didn't look for water, none of that stuff...dumped it straight into my company car, a nearly new 2003 Malibu that was almost empty (brilliant, eh?) I fired it up to drive it 1 mile to the gas station and top it off for good dilution. Got 1/2 mile down the road and she's sputtering/coughing. I made it to the gas station and made the mistake of shutting it down. Filled it up, wouldn't restart. Got my trailer, towed it home, fired it on ether and kept it running at about 3,000 rpms until it cleared it's throat. For the next 3-4 tankfuls I got occasional coughs and kicks, but it ran OK. Then it cleared it's throat completely. 80,000 miles later it's still fine, haven't even changed the fuel filter.<br /><br />I'm pretty confident I dumped about a 1/2 gallon of water into the tank, it dropped right down to the pickup immediately, and it took some time for all that water to purge through, and bubbles of water were still sloshing around for a while after I got it running, causing the occasional misfire as it passed through the injectors. End result? Some inconvenience, and no long-term problems. I gotta admit it scared me a bit, but all is well.<br /><br />Moral? Old gas burns just fine in any car, especially when diluted. But be smarter than me and don't dump the water in!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> At least the stabilizer is keeping the fresh gas good :D :D :p
ya, thats pretty funny, :D I used the wrong word, I should have said octain booster which is what it was. Amsoil octain booster at that. :p <br /><br />Went 120 miles with no problems and filled up again today, everything was fine. :cool:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Tried to fire a freshly rebuild engine on 3+ year old gas. Engine would not start, drove me nuts for a few hours. When I got around to checking the gas, it would not light with a match!!! Dumped some fresh gas down the carb and she fired right off.