Breakfast Bar Construction[UPDATED W/PICS]

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Hi all,<br />Hopefully someone has done this before and can inform me of what NOT to do.<br />I am in the process of installing a piece of 1 3/4" thick butcher block on a half wall between the kitchen and living room. The counter will be approx 24 to 30 inches wide and about 7 feet long in an "L" shape. I need to know how to brace it so it won't wobble on the relatively thin half wall. Should I first screw down 3/4 ply and attach it to that? Metal L brackets? The "L" shape on the 90 degree wall will help some I'm sure, but what else is needed? <br />Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make clear what I am doing.<br /><br />Thanks for any and all replies<br /><br />Dave(not Bob)the builder ;) <br /><br />Here are some pics if that helps.<br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/papadave63/Pictures017.jpg <br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/papadave63/Pictures016.jpg

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Breakfast Bar Construction[UPDATED W/PICS]

I did one of those for my sister. She has little kids and having them standing/jumping/etc on it was inevitable. Plus the occasional party guest. This was a shorter section (4' or 5') coming straight out of an outside wall, the other end stopped at the entryway to the kitchen. Width was standard countertop bar width; I think 26" but maybe 30".<br /><br />The way we did it was to build the back (kickboard) with 3/4" MDF. There had been a pony wall there but it wasn't sufficiently stiff enough or easy enough to attach to, so we tore it out completely. Then at the entryway end we cornered around with 12" of 3/4" MDF. (The wall end was supported by a nailer attached to the wall, naturally) Then we ran a board (1x4 perhaps) from the end of the 12" section back to the wall. This board was not set flush with the top of the MDF (where the countertop would lay), but rather 3.5" down from there. Then 2x4s were laid across the width of the counter, like joists, and were butted into the kickboard MDF (secured with screws) and resting atop the 1x4 that we ran end to end. The only reason I used 2x4s is I had some laying around; I'm sure 1x4 would do just as well, given what it's resting on. The 2x4s were given a 60° or so cut at the end so they would angle down and not catch your knees and such. Finally, we sheathed in the 2x4 "Joists".<br />For this to work, the MDF kickboard and 12" section needs to be really well fastened to the floor. Shortly thereafter, they held a party and we observed two guests sitting on the cantalevered part with no problems.<br /><br />I'm sure you could do something similair. You may have to install an additional 12" section if you've got 7' of unsupported run. Since your countertop has greater strength than the melamine stuff we were using, you could probably use something thinner than 3.5" for the "Joists". This set-up gives you plenty of leg room, naturally, since there's no structure other than the 3/4" sheet at the back.<br /><br />I'll be interested to hear what others have done though!

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: Breakfast Bar Construction[UPDATED W/PICS]

Thank you Paul. I appreciate the response. I too would be curious to see what others have done. I'm diving into it this weekend so I'll have an update and some pics. I'm thinking that with the 90 degree end, that will help suport the bar/counter. There is no wall at either end so the support must come from underneath. I'm open for any and all suggestions so.....