painting wood chair spindles??

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have some old chairs that I am refinishing. I want to paint the spindles white and poly the seat. I sanded everything to bare wood and went to get some paint and primer. I applied primer and paint with a quality brush ($10.00 for a 1 1/2" brush) It looks terrible. The paint and primer wont smooth out. Brush marks everywhere. The paint is 100% acrylic latex enamel. Hi gloss. I applied per instructions and used proper primer (alkyd enamel undercoater). I sanded the primer before painting. I know spraying would be the best way but have no sprayer. Whats the trick to getting a smooth finish on odd shaped round spindles with a brush? I have about $30.00 invested in the paint and primer already and cant return it so would like to use what i already have. Thanks

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: painting wood chair spindles??

I think your problem lies with your choice of paint. Latex is thixotropic and sits where your brush bristles left it. An alkyd or enamel paint is more self levelling and ends up smoother.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

You can get paint conditioners that you mix into a can of paint that improve flow.

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replies... I think I will try the conditioner and see how that works.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

divo, the conditioner you want is called "Floetrol". Any store that sells housepaint will have it. You will still not be satisfied with the results but it should be better. As Boomy says oil base paint would have been the best choice for this project. ;)

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok....so if i just go to an oil based paint....what do I need to do to the stuff thats on there now? Can I just sand it smooth and go over it? Thanks again for the replies!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Too late now divo. With a water based primer and top coat, the oil base will lift it. Floetrol is a half baked solution to a problem created by the environmentalists. At best it is an aid to thin latex to make it more sprayable.<br /><br />As an interesting note, that's why you've seen so many cars with huge sheets of paint missing. The factories tried to mix water based primers with oil based top coats. It was kinda like trying to mix........Oil and Water!!!

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

divo, if you are willing to sand the paint off and start over you can get a couple of cans of spray paint for maybe 10 bucks that will do the trick. You will need a can of primer and a can of the finish color. You'll have to mask off what you don't want to paint, but a careful job with spray cans should be acceptable. shortly ;)

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sometimes those "foam" brushes work pretty good.<br /><br />I make my own from that dense foam used to pack electronics equipment.<br /><br />Paint does go on thin, so you have to apply more coats, but it does go on smooth.