Best small engines....

Pony

Rear Admiral
Which of these do you guys think are the best small engines for basic utility usage like mowing lawns, snow blowing, trimmers, etc.?

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Best small engines....

B&S by far! They're much more tolerant of bad gas and oil....plus parts are easier to find and cheaper. I have a 2.5hp B&S that was made in 1960. It's had regular use the last 45 years, and it still works fine today. And parts are still easy to find for it! :)

FLATHEAD

Commander

Ah, but you left out the best small engine of all--- The kohler.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Not nearly as common, but definately bullet proof. The Honda small engine.

dolluper

Captain

Can't beat the bs engines but the Hondo's are catching up

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating tech topic.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Non-boating tech topic.
You just ruined the poll.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Pony.:<br />Polling is not enabled in this forum. This poll is inactive.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Overall, in order, gas engines-Honda, Jap Briggs, Tecumseh. Small diesel-Yanmar

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

What? Nobody has even mentioned Onan? A good Onan will beat the SNOT outta most of those others...although the Honda would be a close second.<br /><br />Unfortunately when you find a rare Onan that actually fails or needs repair, the price of parts is 4 times higher than the others.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Sorry JB...couldnt post a poll in here thats why I posted in Dockside Chat.<br /><br />As far as the Briggs engines go I think that the oned made up here are great....the ones assembled in the southern plants arent nearly as good.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Flathead I agree....the Kohler engines are good, I should've mentioned them. I have an OHV 18 on a rider and its great..........but I also have a roto-tiller from at least 30yrs ago with a B&S on it, and it starts every year

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> Overall, in order, gas engines-Honda, Jap Briggs, Tecumseh. Small diesel-Yanmar
They are all good but......<br />Spend the extra money and get a Honda.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

B&S, Kohler, Onan<br /><br />Had a Tecumseh that seemed to last forever and had plenty of torque.<br /><br />Honda is very good, but mine can be finicky. It reminds me of old magneto engine I had in a Hercules crawler tractor. When it's in the mood, it purrs like a kitten otherwise it can be as ornery as a caged lion. Geez, off track there..was I talkin about the Honda or the wife... :)

ehenry

Commander

I've run them all and they are all good. Just like an outboard....take care of them and they'll take care of you. I'm partial to Honda but also have a Kholer, Techumse, a Briggs Vangard and an old Clinton that still runs like a bat outta heck.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you did a count of all the smalle engines I am sure there would be more B&S engines than all others combined.<br /><br />They are cheap and work great.<br /><br />Do they last as long, who knows, but who cares when you can buy another one for so cheap.<br /><br />Ken

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Old Clintons. Tore one apart one time. 3½ horse was cast iron and had ball-bearing mains. You don't find that on most small engines.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> they are all good. ....take care of them and they'll take care of you.
Truer words were never spoken. I too have run most all. If properly cared for, all worked as advertised.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All good except,Tecumseh.I'll never own one again.<br />1. BS 2. Kohler 3. Onan

Pony

Rear Admiral

I like the B&S as I can work on them......kinda helps that my dad has worked at Briggs building these engines for 30 years, as well as my neighbor and my uncle for about the same amount of time. seldom is there a non-working engine around here