Tax deduction question

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do freelance graphic design work in my spare time. This year, I bought a new computer, printer and digital camera this year. All were purchased off of Ebay. I am wondering if I can still claim those purchases as deductions, even though they were purchased off Ebay. If I can, how do I go about proving the purchases? I don't really have a physical receipt from Ebay. I suppose I could try and e-mail the seller and have them give me one, if they are being geneerous. Any advice?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tax deduction question

How did you pay for the stuff? The seller usually sends you an invoice via email. Or paypal sends you an email that you've paid someone. Or you can print out your payment detail from Paypal. Depending how long ago it was, you could print off a copy of the auction page and use that for a receipt. Sometimes you can bring up an old ebay auction page thru your paypal detail even when you can't bring it up thru ebay.<br /><br />Print off one or more of these items. Anyone off these things would do the job.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Like Boomyal said, you can go to "My Ebay" and find the prompt that lets you look back at your history and reprint the receipts. Or else I'm sure you got an email when you won the auction that stated the price...go to your deleted items box and see if you still have the emails for the purchases. If you can't prove the purchases in writing, I certainly wouldn't try to claim deductions on them.<br /><br />As a side note, your state may require that you pay a "use tax" which is basically sales tax on the purchase if the seller didn't collect sales tax from you (and probably didn't if you bought it from someone outside of your state). This is commonly "overlooked" and not paid...everyone thinks they can "save" state sales tax by buying things out of state, Ebay, on-line, and mail-order, but it's illegal in most states.<br /><br />So...if you do manage to document the purchase, and you plan to deduct it as a business expense, you darn well better also pay the state the use tax for this computer on your state income 1040 form at the end of the year. If you don't cover all these bases, you could raise red flags for an audit. And if you're audited, you'll lose.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. Yes, I can retrieve the e-mails and also print out my history on ebay. Thanks for the tip on sales tax. This we'll be my first year claiming freelance income, as well as claiming those deductions, so I want to make sure I do everything right. More tips or advice are certainly appreciated. Thanks!

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

BassCat73 why are you holding a 43 inch Muskie?<br />Did you catch it on a Senko near lilly pads?<br />LOL...nice fish....Pay your taxes would be my advice...LOL