SP2

Kenneth Brown

Captain
I know when this first came out there was a lot of problems with it. I have downl9oaded everything I can except for SP2. Should I go ahead or not?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: SP2

IMO Ken, yes. I did the sp2 deal shortly after it was available, and had no issues. Be mindfull that it is a large file, and even with broadband my dl took about 45 minutes. Then the actual instilation was another 30-40 minutes. As I recall there was online interaction during the download as MS was preparing my puter for the install, so forth. It was kind along winded. An option you have is to request a CD from MS for the sp2 upgrade. <br /><br />The main reason I wanted the sp2 was that MS Movie Maker v3.1 was bundled into sp2..omly way to get MM3.1.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I heard the same and installed SP2 and have had no problems.<br /><br />Another reason for the CD. If you ever have to reformat and re-install Windows XP. You MUST install the updates BEFORE you connect to the internet.<br />I can't remember the virus name, but it is still out there. The fix is relatively easy, but it is still a pain in the butt.<br />With the SP2 CD, you install the update and then connect to the internet, no problems.<br /><br />AK Chappy

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Bear in mind, you only get the Pop-up Blocker with the Service Pack 2. The AntiSpyware Beta is a separate download/product.<br /><br />I have run SP2 since soon after it was released with no problems.<br /><br />pjc, didn't know it had MM3.1. I thought all it had was MM2.1.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

BB, i stand corrected as it is MM2.1 bundled into sp2. I wanted mm2.1 for the free ability to build photo slideshows and video shorts to import to a cheapo dvd software converter i have. not many low end file converters will import .wmv files to a dvd (mpg) or whatever format. I wished to burn a bunch of dvd of my family photos for all to enjoy on tv. windblows mm allowed me to create neat and simple slide shows then convert to dvd format using cheapo super dvd creator software. cool 'cause i could add sound and text to the slide show for a free software product bundled into the sp2 upgrade.<br /><br />As well, I use another freebe from MS, Windblows Media Encoder" software to import tunes from a boom box (cd and cassete tapes) and create wma file that i sync to my mp3 deal for tunes on the harley. is real cool 'cause i have control of the files recorded volumn, and so forth,...make as loud as i wish....not like the generic audio volumn tracks ripped from winblows media player.

Realgun

Commander

The best way to install is to click<br />Start-Run- type in msconfig then click ok<br />Click the startup tab<br />Press the button to disable all.<br />reboot.<br />Check the box that say don't notify me again.<br />install SP2<br />redo the above but click enable all.<br />Best way IMHO.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do not download this through a wireless connection!<br /><br />HeadHunt

Kenneth Brown

Captain

OK guys, looks like its a go. Now for the real problem. I'm on dialup with usually 49.2 speed. How long will this take? Several days if I leave it running right?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by HeadHunt:<br /> Do not download this through a wireless connection!<br /><br />HeadHunt
I downloaded and installed through a wireless first part of December '04. What problems am I having that I may not know about?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I downloaded over dial up. I think it took about 3 or 4 hours.<br /><br />Well worth the effort to get and install it.<br /><br />BTW, if you have hi speed internet available where you work or at friends house or even the local library, you should think about getting a USB Flash Drive. I have a 256 meg drive and I download big files at work, then bring them home on the flash drive. Saves a lot of time on downloads over dial up.